Going on a trip and need advice please help!

So Planning to take my son to Mexico in Oct, so he can see his grandma but I was just wonder if there's any advice any one can give me for a stress free flight and going from the layover to going back and dealing with customs..plus the whole packing and everything for a one year old its going to be a 2 week trip. Advice PLEASE

HaydenMooMoo

Asked by HaydenMooMoo at 8:39 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Travel

• Take a xanax. That should relax you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• The only way to have a stress free flight is not to fly! **grin**

You can get all the customs info from the US Customs dept online.

Check with your airline about carry on regulations. Bring enough things to keep your little one occupied without making everyone else crazy...nothing noisy, please.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:29 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Advice for the flight is to take an early morning flight. I mean like 6 am or earlier if you can find one. I love the red eye. My kids sleep and so do I. Customs is a piece of cake. They should give you the forms on the plane so you can have the filled out before you arrive at the airport. When you get there you just stand in the line and hand them the papers. Most of the time they don't check anything out. Unless you get picked randomly. It is an easy process and if you take your time getting to the line like walk slow and take your time getting your bags by the time you get to the line it should go rather quickly. As for the layover that should be pretty easy. If baby is awake let him walk around (if he can) or just play and stimulate him as much as possible in hopes that he will sleep on the plane. Make sure to pack some toys and snacks in your carry on. Also, pack more than enough diapers and wipes as you ....
    SabrinaL

Answer by SabrinaL at 9:25 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• never know if your flight will be delayed. FYI if you are flying through Houston it is a pretty fair hike from the domestic flight to the international. Also if that is your entry point on your return then you will have to go through customs then back through security before going on to the connecting flight. This can take time. Make sure you have a nice long layover. I had 1.5 hours and felt rushed but then again it was me, my son 5 and my daughter 1. Take lots of diapers and wipes I had to buy some in Guatemala and they made my daghter break out. Also, take powdered milk or formula you don't want to give baby fresh cows milk. Not sure how it is in Mexico but in Guatemala babies don't get fresh cows milk until after their 2nd birthday. If you are breastfeeding of course this isn't going to be a problem. Also, if your baby isn't eating table food yet then make sure to take the jar food. My daughter ate table food....
    SabrinaL

Answer by SabrinaL at 9:29 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• As far as clothes go that is up to you. I take enough for about a week and wash them while I am there. Just be warned if you are going to do that it is by hand. Take some tylenol or motrin for baby and any other meds he might need. My sons first trip he was 3 and ended up with a stomach bug and fever for a few days. I didn't have any meds so I had to trust the family we were visiting to know if a medicine I was going to buy was safe for my child. While I trust my family I wasn't very comforatable with the idea of giving him meds that I wasn't familiar with. If you have any other questions just let me know. I go to Guatemala with my kids just about every year.
    SabrinaL

Answer by SabrinaL at 9:32 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Oh yeah, most of the floors there are hard floors. No carpet so make sure you decide on if you want to take a play pen or something like that. I don't know if you baby wear or not but a sling or other carrier would be very helpful. Depending on where you are going the streets could be dirt and that makes it a pain in the butt for strollers.
    SabrinaL

Answer by SabrinaL at 9:34 AM on Sep. 22, 2009