anyone with a 4th grader?

How much homework do they get (like how many sheets/pages/subjects) each night and how long does it take to get done?

My oldest is in tears tonight because she couldn't finish all her homework. On Tues. her math teacher sent home a packet of 21 papers and it is due tomorrow. On top of that she had math homework yesterday and homework in every other subject all week.
Tonight she did English homework, Social Studies, studied for her spelling test, studied for her science test and worked on this packet. She still has 4 pages to go in it and at 7pm I took it away and told her to go take a shower. She hadn't eaten dinner, didn't get to do her 20 min. of reading, practice her clarinet or anything else.
It takes her 4-5 hours to do her homework every single day. She does nothing but homework from the time she comes home until she goes to bed. She's depressed and frustrated and so am I.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 8:47 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• That's ridiculous. When I was in fourth grade I had ONE packet a week. It was our spelling packet. It was 4 or 5 pages long. We got it Monday and we had to turn it in on Thursday - and I was in the advanced class. Teachers are just crazy these days. Yes, the kids need to learn, and not the crappy way a lot of them are teaching, but stressing them out is not going to help anything. I'd talk to her teacher. Sounds like a nutball. I think it's the pick of the draw. I had one of those teachers in 8th grade.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• the rule in tenn is 30 min of hw per grade level 2 hrs tops for 4th graders i think thats to much myself but 4-5 thats bs, talk to her teachers.
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 8:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I don't have a 4th grader but I am doing my student teaching right now in 4th grade. The teacher does not give homework. If she does then it takes maybe 10 minutes at most. The 4th grade team is still discussing homework, because 1 teacher wants to give it, 1 doesn't, and 1 is on the fence. If they do decide to give homework then the teacher says that they should only have 10-15 minutes per grade level. For example, a 1st grader would only have 10-15 minutes of homework a night, a 2nd grader would have 20-30 minutes of homework a night, ex. This means that a 4th grader should have 40-60 minutes of homework at night. 4 hours is way too much. I would have a conference with the teacher to see what is going on. Is she not finishing her work during the day, so she has to finish it for homework? Is the homework introducing new concepts or backing up what they learned that day? These are some of the questions that I would ask.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My son always does his homework in the carpool line.He always has it done in 15 min. or less.That is way too much homework for a child in 4th grade.Eventually this will probably cause your child to lose interest in school all together and she will end up with bad grades.Just my opinion and I feel sorry for your DD.I hope that you find a solution to this.Good Luck!
    MommyLove23

Answer by MommyLove23 at 10:11 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My son usually brings home a math worksheet, has some spelling homework & then has to read for a bit. Not including his reading, it takes him about 20 to 40 minutes, depending on how much he is screwing around. I would be in your dd school asap, asking her teacher what in the hell she is thinking? Does she hate children or something? That is ridiculous. If you get nowhere with her teacher, you can speak with other 4th grade teachers in her school & ask about the homework they give. Then go to the administration & ask them whats up with that crap. Maybe, as a last resort, you could switch her class.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 10:58 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I make my boys stay in and do their home work from the time they get home at 330 to 500pm. That way they are not rushing threw it to get outside or watch tv. If they dont have any homework from their teacher I will find something for them to do pertaining to their skill level. Like right now my 10 year old is copying paragraphs out of books to get his handwriting better and ledge able.

20 pages is alot to do in one week i would be asking the teacher whats going on.
    Luckybear05

Answer by Luckybear05 at 11:31 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Well, there is only the one 4th grade teacher. She's actually a sub (the regular teacher is on maternity leave) and she's young. I think this is her first long term gig and she has another job she goes to right after school. According to my dd (who isn't always the most trustworthy...she'll tell you what you want to hear to get what she wants) the 21 page packet was because the kids were being disruptive in math class. Supposedly. That same day she had to write the word, "silent" 100 times for science class (the 5th grade teacher does English and Science) because the class was being noisy.
    Last year she barely had any homework so this year is a big shock for all of us. The other day she had 3 pages of spelling, 2 pages of English, social studies, and this math packet on top of a page out of the math book. Plus she is supposed to read 20-30 minutes every night (she doesn't have time).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:34 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Something is way not right with this picture. My 6th grader doesnt even have that much homework ina MONTH. She gets 20 spelling words on Monday, she has to write a book review on tuesdays and math ( about 5-10 problems) and on Thursdays, I can't remember what it is. All of this is due on Friday. Even when shewas in 4th grade she never had that amount of homework. If this teacher is a sub, is she even following the teachers lesson plans? I seriously would call a conference and find out what the heck is going on. Involve the principal if necessary. maybe this sub shouldnt be subbing!!! Your poor daughter, is going to end up hating school and from a mom's point of view, I would be chewing someones neck apart!! Please go talk to them for your little one. It's not fair and she's suffering!!
    asalynsedai

Answer by asalynsedai at 1:01 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• She actually insisted that packet was supposed to be done in 1 day when she brought it home. She was in tears and it took her 40 minutes to do the first page (just simple division and she is really bad at math). Then she sat there for 2 hours working on the next 3 pages of math in it until I told her to do her other homework that I knew was due the next day.
    She said only 5 kids brought in the packet complete. They must have been up until 10-11pm or had their parents do it for them because I probably wouldn't have been able to complete it in 1 day. She did 5 more pages the next day and was no where near done yesterday.
    Now she'll have to spend all weekend practicing her clarinet because she didn't get to practice all week. She'll probably have homework, too. The first weekend it took her an hour to do homework on Sunday. Her bag is so heavy she can't even carry it (she only weighs 45lbs). it's crazy.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:02 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I have a 4th grader, a 3rd grader, a 1st grader and a pre schooler....my 4th grader has the least of the 3 with homework!!! I have this problem with my 1st grader...he has more homework then the rest combined!!! I am bout to start asking questions and wonder why this is!!! He's never had 20 sheets but its crazy teachers are like this!!! Good Luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Sep. 18, 2009