why is my 18 yr son so jealous of his 9 yr old sister? plz help

he has threatened to kill himself over this!!!! he wont let me help him he took 19 zanax 2 days ago! he says its because of her!!!! i do not know what to do please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• I know you probably don't want to hear this but you need either take your son to the hospital to be treated or if he won't go, go to court and petition the court for an emergency medical evaluation. Please take this seriously and act now.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• ... I don't know why he would try and kill himself over it, but I can tell you an older child getting a new sibling abruptly and a change in routine can make a child jealous. I was 9 when I got my sister. I went from being an only child to having a new sister and a Stepdad. My Whole world was crazy and I didnt know how to handle it. Some kids never lose that resentment. My StepDad treated my sis better than me cause it was his kid.. I had resentment about that too. Since I couldnt take it out on him I took it out on her. I got over it.... I suppose some kids dont know how?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Have him Baker Acted if he isn't already and have him explain it to a doctor. My 19 yr old grandson is jealous of his 9 yr old brother but not to the point he'd kill himself. He's just mean to him.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:58 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Mabey he feels that youre paying more attention to his sister and less to him, or he feels that you love the 9 year old more. have you said things like, your sister dosnt argue with me, or your sister doesnt call me names, etc any thing to compare him and his sister. my mom does this to me and is always putting my sister before anyone else, and is always saying what shes doing right, and what im doing wrong, now or when i was my sisters age. try sitting down and talking to him, and hear what he has to say, without arguing. good luck.
    ladypyro

Answer by ladypyro at 12:28 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Coming from someone who had a new baby brother at the age of 9..it has a lot to do if you have always showed him equal attention. My mom got with my step dad at the age of 4 everything was fine I was "daddys little girl" but when my mom had my little brother everything just changed. All of a sudden it was "leah who" my dad would spend night and day with his first born son. I still recent him for that, and for my mother not doing anything about it. You need to be there for him NOW..get him help ASAP..hope all works out
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Sep. 24, 2009