What's the right age for Kindergarten?

My son has had a pretty traumatic little life. He lost his father 1 1/2 yrs. ago; we've moved times since then ending up at my mom's presently (God help me); I been in and out of severe depression; and now Kindergarten. He just turned 5 in June and we will be moving again (and probably changing schools) in the next month or two. I am so totally stumped. I have a 3 yr. old daughter as well who won't let me out of her site!

Sadeyray

Asked by Sadeyray at 9:02 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am a teacher and I say hold him back a year. I did with my son...he just turned 6 in July and this is his first year in PUBLIC K. Last year he did a preschool K.

It wont hurt him, but give him more time to grow and be prepared. Schools push kids very hard at very young ages these days.

Kids who are more mature have an advantage!

But I would get him involved with other kids in some way. Preferable with a preschool ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:08 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My daughter turned 5 in June also...

June 3

She just entered Kindergarten in September.. If I was you, I would get him registered in school once you arrive to your destination..

good luck..

Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 9:08 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I agree with Mom2twobabes - Wait until he is 6 to put him into Kinderegarten. My dd has a mid-July birthday, we waited until she was 6. A child may be mentally ready to start Kindergarten at 5, but many are not socially ready. They are to young to interact, and the demands that are placed on Kindergarten students these days is amazing. It has become very common practice in our area to wait until the child is a little older to start Kindergarten, it does seem that the kids that are more mature have a learning and social advantage. How about putting him into a good Pre-K program?
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 8:13 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Given what you have said about your son, he may need another year to get ready for kindergarten. Boys are often not ready right at 5, and yours has had a hectic year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I would hold him until he is 6. There is nothing wrong with that and if he has to move again right as he starts a new school, it will only cause more stress. Both kids need to feel a little stability and if your son is suddenly gone during the days, your daughter may become even more afraid to let you out of her sight. Give him another year to settle in. Good luck to you.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 1:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I believe the right age is 5 years old. All schools ask if the child is at least 5 yrs old. to be able to start kindergarten
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:41 PM on Sep. 18, 2009