homework advice!

My son just started first grade and he has so much home work,two books to read everynight,sight words to read through,spelling words,and starting next week math home work and speach,speach will only be one night a week the rest are 5.I dont get home until almost 5 i have to fix dinner,pick up,take a shower,do baths and have my 5 and 6 year old in bed by 8:00 8:30 and the latest any advice on howt to manage things better? I thought i was doing good until all of this just hit me at the open house tonight!!Please no bashing or mean words just advice.Thankyou.

proudmom34

Asked by proudmom34 at 9:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Does he go to a sitter's or an after school program after school? If so, see if they will let him work on his homework there. You can also have your son read the two books right before bed time. He can work on his spelling words in the bathtub. (Buy him some bathtub markers or paint. He will Ace every spelling test!) Have him work on his math homework while you are fixing dinner and look over it right after dinner. What type of homework does he have for speech?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:52 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Wow. I have a first grader and she only has one, maybe two worksheets three nights a week. and 10 spelling words that come home on monday. It is my personal opinion that your son is being assigned overkill. I would be requesting a conference. Voice your concerns to the teacher. If you really get nowhere, think about talking to the principal. My boys didn't have that much homework until 3rd maybe 4th grade.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:02 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I always have my son sit at the table and do his homework while I'm preparing dinner or picking up. If he has to read I will just have him read out loud and he asks me if he doesn't know a word. Then I will put his spelling list next to me and read off the words he needs to spell. My little girl likes to pretend she has homework too so she colors while we do this:) My son gets a lot of homework too!! I don't remember getting any at this age..
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 10:25 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Unfortunately, homework overkill is usually not the choice of the teacher... It is a handed down decision. Talk to the teacher, but know this may be something they don't like to give and will not be able to tell you that.

Last year I wasn't a SAHM, I cooked like a fiend on the weekends. Chicken breasts, ground beef, pasta, rice... you name it. I froze everything. When I got home, I could nuke pieces and put together an entire dinner. Gave me more time to help and listen. I even read the books to my kids during dinner and then hadthem read their assignments back to me after dinner. Makes the process smoother and gave us something new to talk about while eating.

mnrsmom900

Answer by mnrsmom900 at 11:57 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Have him sit at the kitchen table and do his homework while you are making dinner. Have him read his books aloud, the same with sight words. You can give him the spelling words as you cook, as you are driving in the car, as you bathe him. What he is getting, really shouldn't take all the long (maybe 30 minutes), it just seems like a lot.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:14 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• wow that is alot , my daughter only had one book to read in first. grade. and a page of math with only 5 problems on it. and that was it. why so much? thats crazy.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:38 PM on Sep. 18, 2009