Will baby forget how to latch-on? How often should I pump?

I'm exclusively breastfeeding but now I have to use a prescription cream for a rash on my chest. So now I'm going to pump until I'm off of the meds. How often should I pump to keep from going dry? I'm using the Medela Pump in Style. Will my DD forget how to latch on? I feel so bad b/c she's not used to taking a bottle but I don't want to risk getting any ointment in her mouth

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What's the ointment? Just wipe your nipples clean with a rag before nursing her. That would be better than taking the chances with a bottle.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:52 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Econazole, its an anti-fungal for an infection I picked up when I was pregnant. It's mostly applied to spot on my right breast but my derm. told me that i can use for the scars I have on my entire chest due to a bad case of PUPPPS
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My daughter was 3 weeks old and we went home for a month and I rarely nursed except for nightfeedings when we were gone but I did continue to pump. When we returned home I began to nurse again and she latched on immediately, she didnt forget a thing and I had dried up a little but began producing milk agian in just a few days. Good luck!
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 10:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• just make sure you wash your nipples and your chest area. very thoroughly. i brestfeed and my son hates bottles. and i hate giving them to him. but no, she shouldnt forget. and if you feel that uncomfortable with having her brestfeed while you use this, then dont. you wont be using it long. she should be fine. pump for everytime she should feed and have extra bottles in case she gets hungry and you need one.
    krisew90

Answer by krisew90 at 11:08 PM on Sep. 17, 2009