Water or fish?

I rarely agree with Hannity--a majority of the time he is a grandstander and way off IMHO--but today he broadcast 3 miles from the school where I teach (he was in Huron, I teach in Lemoore). I am not sure if many of you are familiar with the farming situation in Central California. But, farmers have not received water they paid for in advance due to the efforts of a group from Northern California who have convinced Sacramento to shut off the water headed to the valley farms. We have hundreds of acres sitting fallow or with crops withering and dying (no crops, no yeild, no jobs--40% unemployment in Huron alone) because Sacramento decided a minnow sized fish was more important then water for the largest ag producing area in the country. Many in the area are engaging senators and congressmen from other states to intervene on the behalf of the Central Valley. If you could, do some research and if you think it is a worthy cause

PsWifey

Asked by PsWifey at 9:59 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I posted this last night (on your side btw, PSWifey). Instead of addressing the REAL issue of 40% unemployment because generational farms are suffering from LONG TERM impact of limited to NO water~ a certain CM'r said, "You may want to stop looking for facts on the "opinion" section of newspapers :)"   ~I'm going to have to say that PSWifey, some people don't get it.  I agree with you. I support your cause. Just as I support the loggers cause in Oregon."some don't" understand jobs that leave and business that are destroyed. "Some" have an attitude of screw US farmers, etc. They don't care if we import from another nation. It's sad. There are too many urban elitists and Career politicians dictating the direction of this nation.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:31 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• con't: contact your representatives and implore them to lobby for the farmers in the Central Valley in California. Our farms provide(d) 85% of the produce shipped throughout the world! We are the raisin capital of the world! :)
    I will say this in this instance, thank you Mr. Hannity for taking your time to speak out for this cause.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 10:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I saw that too!!!! I was floored!

Crazy radical environmentalists.

Stupid fish!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Crazy radical environmentalists.
    Right there is the crux--it is the over-zealous bunch who ignore people for a fish--a not near extinction fish at that. They want the water so there are more of them for the fish being caught by fishermen--who have overfished and that has depleted the population.
    We have entire communities where there are weekly food distributions because there are no crops, jobs, or hope. It is terrible.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 10:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Well they do say there are plenty of fish in the sea...I mean come on...causing more jobs to be lost and crops going to waste over a fish. People really have some messed up priorities
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 10:22 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I want everyone to see this ugly fish too!

nooksackdace_photo_mikepearson.jpg

This is getting out of hand. I think it should be halted and a better solution drawn. I know it must be a scary thought ( to scientist, and crazy environmentalists) of a species going extinct, but maybe it is meant too. How can they be 100% sure stopping the water is going to save it?

Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 10:27 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• People should come before fish. Any 6 year old child could figure that out. Cray libs gone overboard and lost their brains.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• This is insane. Not only does it hurt the surrounding community with the loss of its economy, but there will be less food to feed an already starving world.

OP, you may make fun of us "teabaggers, but a group of us from Oregon have been working to help your area out. If you have some particular people that need some focus please feel free to email me here at cafemom. My group will be happy to make a more focussed effort. Oregon still hasn't recovered from the loss of its timber industry.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I agree, This is freaken rediculous!

This not only effects those people but us too! My God, give the people their dang water!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• And the state legislature has been no help here. Keep an eye out for the special sessions.

This may also be interesting reading: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/17/BA3911QA9U.DTL

Funny thing...I remember my cousins going fishing for smelt in the delata when I was a kid. They were actually not bad eating!

Answer by gdiamante at 3:22 AM on Sep. 18, 2009