Do you dress modestly?

By modest I mean skirts (mid-calf to ankle length). Do any of you wear head coverings? What do you consider modest?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Wow... no, I don't. On either account. I mostly wear pants, but I have a couple knee-length skirts and a pair of short sorts. I definately don't wear head coverings! Unless it's in the middle of th eday and I'm going to be outside a lot. Then I wear a baseball cap.

My definition of "modest" is this:

Can I see nipple? Can I see labia or buttcheeks? No? Then you're modestly dressed :p
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:04 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I believe modest dress (in this sense) to be apparel which is not intended to draw attention to your body, is not excessive or extreme by common cultural standards.

I believe I dress modestly insomuch as I do not wear low slung tops, tight short clothing. I, however, also believe that excessively long dresses and other clothing are immodest when their only purpose is 'to draw attention to our modesty'.

The spirit of Biblical modesty is equally about what you wear and why you wear it. I dress in a way that pleases my eye, honors my husband and suits my body type. It's about fashion and function for me.
    Angebor

Answer by Angebor at 10:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• No m'am... I dress how I feel(but always as if I am going to run into my worst enemy). I love a mix of clothing. I think that clothes is a great way of presenting yourself and your personality to strangers. You can tell a lot by a persons clothing - and shoes. Now I'm not saying you have to have the cream of the crop, but stylish. Even while wearing sweats! I agree that long skirts and head covers are a bit modest but its all in how you wear them. I wear head wraps but they are for style when I'm having a bad hair day or just want a quick cute look. So again, it depends on how you wear your clothing that determines if the "look" is modest or not.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 10:08 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My definition is shorts and skirts going to about the knee. At least capped sleeves, no deep plunging neck lines, or bare mid-drifts.

So I guess I don't according to your definition; but I still wear much more than most people in western culture.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• What I think is modest is trying to get attention from others.. Like wearing a short skirt and shirt that shows off your boobs and wearing alot of makeup.. I do try to dress modest because what i have to show if for my hubby only

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 10:20 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Unless I'm going to a formal event, I don't wear skirts or dresses because they're too restrictive and I'm too much of a free spirit.  Give me tight jeans or yoga pants and fitted tees any day, unless it's winter, then I wear a tank top under a t-shirt under a hoodie and two pairs of socks.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:25 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I wear clothes. Isn't that enough?
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:28 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I wear form fitting(not to be confused with tight)clothing that flatters what God gave me, but leaves tons to the imagination as far as what God gave me if you know what I'm saying!lol I like to look nice. I do hair for a living so I like to dress the part. I personally don't need to be shampooing some ladies husband with my ta ta's hanging in his face. I would be embarrassed! I have fun with hair and make up. I'm not over the top, but it's fun to feel like I look nice.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:31 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• your definition of modest, no. i wear mostly pants, but when i do wear a skirt it is rarely below my knee, but they usually fall right above my knee. i love hats, but i wear them for fashion, not religion. i have DDs so even when i wear a shirt thats not intended to show any cleavage on me it will show a little.

my definition of modest is not hanging out of anything, very little cleavage, no possibility of panty flashes, and nothing that would attract the wrong kind of attention. also, since im obese, i adhere to a strict "dont make myself look any fatter" modesty code; no tank tops, no shorts above thigh high, and nothing tight.

the most immodest i get is when DH & i get a night alone & go to our fav restaurant. its very dark & intimate, so i wear my only "sexy" shirt that my cleavage looks AMAZING in from only the front. so my DH gets to enjoy it, but no one else...and this date happens once, maybe twice a year haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:36 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I don't dress modest in the sense you described. I dress pretty normal, but I am careful to dress in a way that doesn't draw attention to my body (sexually). My boobs are covered and my shorts are long enough.

But honestly I am a mom, and I am usually just in a pair of warm up pants and a tank top or t-shirt.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2009