How do I get my son to not be so attached.?

My son is 4 1/2 and he recently just started preschool. Everyday when i take him to school and go to leave - he puts his arms around me and doesn't let. I used to have this problem in day care but he grew out of it for a while. I'm guessing it has to do with a lot of problems in the home maybe? He is a big mamma's boy. Any suggestions to make it easier on him when i drop him off. He is also very shy - the teachers say he won't even talk in class.. what can i do..

luvmykids050709

Asked by luvmykids050709 at 10:08 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You will not solve this problem overnight. Often when we try to promote independence in our young children we actually make them clingier. As a mother of 3, I know when we're busy, right after work, trying to get dinner on the table, we tend to tell the kids to give us a minute, I'm busy right now, go find something to do. When we do that, we make them feel neglected. Even if it's only 10, 20 or 30 minutes, how many times a day does it happen? They get clingier & then we start to push them off of us more because they are always whining to be up our butt. It’s a chain reaction.
    carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 10:44 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• So my advice to you: give him the opportunity to get sick of you. Don’t alter your routine, just change the way that he is involved in it. Let him pull up a chair to stand on & help you make dinner, even if he's washing the same tomato for 30 minutes, he's right with you. While you're folding laundry, sit him right next to you & let him 'sort' the socks. Give him special cuddle time while you watch T.V. or read. Try to give him more contact with you at home. When he realizes that you are always there, he will be more confident to explore the world without you.
    carlye828