Do you tell family when you're TTC?

I notice quite a bit of people on here tell their family when they are in the process of TTC. I never told my family because I thought it was kind of weird. Does anyone else tell their family and do you think it's weird?

Miss-Baby-Baker

Asked by Miss-Baby-Baker at 10:26 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i never did just because i didnt want it to be a daily discussion...lol
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 10:27 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• NO WAY!

Hubby and I took five years to have our baby. I didn't want anyone asking us all the time how it was going and am so glad we didn't tell anyone about TTC.

Can you imagine five years of "Oh, just relax and you'll have a baby before you know it." Blah.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 10:28 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Not really. How is that for dinner conversation at a Sunday brunch. "So, Mom, Dad, Gramma, We're having a lot of sex. Lots and lots of unprotected romping. Like, we're doing it every 2-3 days, so if we don't pick up the phone, you know we're probably doing it."
    We told them that we planned to have another, but didn't go into detail.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:30 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• well we didn't exactly TTC it was more if it happens it happens kinda thing. but i had a friend who was TTC beyond normal means (in vitro etc..) for 12 yrs, after 7 yrs of when are you guys gonna have kids it got old and they told people about their problems so they'd shut up already. so i can get it in that situation. but to me, to announce to my family, hey we have sex all the time! is just weird (i know my family knows dh and i have sex but we don't discuss that kinda thing)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:31 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I did but only with our first. My sils and I are all very close and talk about everything. I didn't tell them with #2 and #3 because they were surprises! They already know our plan for when we want to start trying for #4.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• No, I didn't want them watching whether I was or not.

Answer by Bmat at 10:31 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• No we never did and I really don't know why others tell their families, maybe so their families know the pregnancies were planned and not an accident?
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 10:32 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• No I wouldnt because you dont need that added stress. BTW a couple of months ago the girl at the bank told me she had just gone off the pill so she and her DH could start trying. Then she said and I am late now so I am really hoping I am. I do not know this girl except making deposits and such way too much TMI for someone you hardly know.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:35 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• theutilitarian has it right....the family always thinks it's an accident if they don't know ahead of time. Like it's their right to know or something.

I just told everyone that we had been trying for five years when I finally announced I was pregnant. That shut up the speculators about our son being an "accident"!
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 10:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• With my son, yes, because it took us 3 years and now we are TTC next month and I won't be telling anyone!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Sep. 17, 2009