So blacks cant be racist huh?

"We need to rethink what is racist and who can legitimately call whom racist," Swain said, citing the argument that blacks can't be racist because racism requires power.

That is the stupidest thing I have read. This is just another person excusing the black community for the way they treat people. Another excuse of how only white people are racist. She is even black and she is making excuses. Sad .

What do you think?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090917/ap_on_re_us/us_crying_racism

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that people of all races can be racist, and definitely are. Black people are absolutely no exception.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 10:47 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• It's sad we single out one ethnicity and link them to that word. Clearly, many ethnicities can and are racist.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Racism only requires a person to hate another race for no good reason. No one is excluded. Thats a pretty stupid comment if you ask me.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 10:55 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Gee, I always thought racist meant you thought your race was better than another. Anyone can think that.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 11:02 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• If racism requires power, (I'm not agreeing with this) basically a poor white person could NOT be racist, but a wealthy powerful black person could be. A homeless person could not be racist, but anyone in middle management could.

Following that, there are many black people in positions of power; President Obama, Condi Rice, Oprah, Colin Powell just to start. There are black mayors, city councilmen, business owners, CEOs, police, and plenty of managers at various levels.

If her statement is true, that alone proves blacks can be racist.  Therefore, her statement contradicts itself.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:03 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I think we are ALL part of the SAME race! The HUMAN race!!! Skin color dosnt matter one hoot because we are all human beings. Get over it already! We cant take back slavery. They have been paid reperations and given jobs they are unqualifyed for under the affirmative action act and keep asking for more. Here's a start. STOP abandoning your kids to the streets and gangs and be parents, teach your kids morals and right from wrong and to stay in school and go to college and you to can have a good job and good pay. Nothing worth having comes easily. It just seems allot of the poor think it's the white mans fault they are poor and it just AINT true. They keep themselves down with all their excuses!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:14 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• mancosmomma -- So true

Funny thing is she herself is a professor and has a PHD

http://law.vanderbilt.edu/faculty/faculty-detail/index.aspx?faculty_id=192

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Of course non-white people can be racist. What I think I find more annoying is that anyone would deny that some of Obama's opposers are just plain racist. Here in Arizona we have had people show up outside of his recent public speech carrying guns, clergy praying for his death and (I know I can't prove this to anyone..but) I have heard people my dh knows talking about how upset some people are about having a black man as president. I spoke to an old classmate around the time of the election and she actually stated to me that she was upset that she was being 'forced' to vote for a black man (she was even less interested in voting for McCain/Palin, not sure how to interpret that one).

honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 11:50 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Continued.....Sorry. I didn't mean to change the subject. It seems like people from all sides of the debate are just full of b.s.
    honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 11:51 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• The most powerful man in our country is black so I guess that means white people can't be racist anymore.lol Sorry the logic of that makes no sense to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Sep. 18, 2009