Do you think the term "Respect your elders" counts when they are disrespectful first?

My SO's family and I had a blowing out the other day. I was feeling crappy and was a little hurt that nobody checked on me, yes it was minor but I don't have a mommy anymore so I just wanted that mommy touch. I came across wrong on FACE BOOK and made a comment like"Glad some people are more worried about friggin football instead of checking on someone who is sick" At this time I didn't know what was wrong with me. (just a sinus infection)Well my So's step mother and basically calling me a baby and wasn't very nice about it. (NOW I realize that it was petty and stupid) but now they want ME to apologize for being disrespectful but I in no way shape or form disrespected her because I was raised not to ever disrespect your elders!Any suggestions on what to do? I've tried to send emails but to no avail! Should I call? I'm not gonna say sorry for something I didn't do!

fireangel0310

Asked by fireangel0310 at 10:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• If you don't think you did anything wrong, then don't appologize. It seems to me that you didn't do anything wrong. Just things got a little emotional and that's about it. Sometimes facebook can be a pain in the ass about things like that. I would just avoid those who are requesting an appology until things cool down a little. And i think though it is good to respect your elders, sometimes they push and push and push until you just snap. Everyone has a breakin point!
    Ali-Rippy

Answer by Ali-Rippy at 11:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• If you don't feel like you've done anything wrong then I would say no don't apologize, if you don't really feel sorry than the apology wouldn't actually mean crap anyways.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 10:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• well the problem is you DID offend her, even if you didn't mean to, obviously it still did. so i'd just say hey i'm sorry if i offended you that was not my intention. that way you aren't apologizing for how you felt and she isn't holding a grudge against you. (not something you want in a MIL even if you aren't married!) but i don't see how either one of you was disrespectful here.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I agree w/ Katrina. Avoid.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• If they are that concerned with you apologizing I would just take the high road and do it. But I would also let in be known that you were upset and offended because of their actions. I do not think what you did was wrong though.
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 11:31 PM on Sep. 17, 2009