bath after vaginal birth & episiotomy?

i had my son 2 weeks ago and im dying to take a bath its the only thing that helps me relax. i wanna no if its safe or if i should just call me dr and ask cuz my bf is being crazy about it and wont let me take one till the Dr says so...HELP

1mama2B

Asked by 1mama2B at 11:05 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm sorry but I'm with your bf on this one. Always check with your Dr. first, then you don't have to worry about the "what ifs".
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 11:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• You may shower right away. Wait two weeks before taking a bath to allow for time to heal. Your obstetric care provider may suggest you wait until your six-week check-up before you begin swimming.

JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 11:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• They try to get you to wait till at least your 6 week post pardom checkup because it can take that long for your cervix to close back up. Other wise you can get an infection and that could cause more problems than the one benefit of relaxing you. You can always take a nice long hot shower, they do the same for me if i just stand in them and not really do anything just let the water run all over me.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 11:22 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• check with your Dr.
    I was prescribed soaks, and my Dr said it was fine to soak in the bath, rather than sitz, but that was for my specific recovery...It's easier to call the Dr's office and double check than it is to treat an avoidable complication. Congrats on your new bundle, and I hope you get to relax soon...bathtub or otherwise.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I had a fourth degree tear and the hospital recommended baths. If you really want a bath call your doctor to make sure but I've never heard of it being dangerous.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:50 AM on Sep. 18, 2009