Have you ever heard the rule that you claim your father's race and your mother's religion?

Or did my MIL make it up? My husband is 1/2 mexican but she's says legally he's not bc his dad is white. So on papers he should only put white.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• ive never heard of that other than in the jewish communities. My dads german and my moms mexican I always say im mexican because i was brought up that way
    ryansmommy07

Answer by ryansmommy07 at 11:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I am a 1/4 mexican but because I was raised that culture (by my mom she's half) I claim Mexican before white. As for religion my DDs are 7th Day Adventist like their daddy because he is very religious. I am non denominational Christian so it doesn't matter to me as long as they know God. So it works for both of us. :)
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 11:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I ACTUALLY HEARD THIS THE OTHER DAY! SO I GUESS ITS TRUE!???
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 12:11 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• BUT IT SHOULD BE WHAT EVER YOU FEEL!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 12:12 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I'd say if he looks Mexican or feels like he is more Mexican he should put that down as his dominant race. I don't think kids should pick religion based on their parents either. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Christian and I would be thrilled if all my children were Christians but I know it's an unrealistic expectation when there are so many other religions to explore.
    bethany_smith

Answer by bethany_smith at 7:54 AM on Sep. 18, 2009