The devil's holiday????

My ex-mil yelled at me (for the 5th year in a row) because I'm taking my kids trick-or-treating. I just nod a smile and take my kids. I don't see a problem with Halloween. I know the origins (pagan holiday) but I personally see it as a day for my kids to dress up and hit people up for wayyy too much candy! Do any of yall have this problem? What do you think of Halloween?

Nikidu

Asked by Nikidu at 12:00 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think its silly when people make a big deal out of it.
    Its fun and its about using your creativity to dress up and a day to get candy.

We celebrate that part as well as the spiritual part(for us its Samhain).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:28 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Samhain, the holiday that non-pagans call Halloween is a celebration of the new year, a rememberance of the dead and time to reflect on life's blessings. There's nothing evil about it. Tell her to shove it and stop butting in to your business.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:02 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Nowadays it is really a secular occasion. Only a fanatic would call it evil.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:09 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• i dont celebrate due to its pagan origin. i've never liked it, even as a kid, i went trick or treating once and didnt like it, so i never did it again. Jesus never went trick or treating, lol. thats a line Barbra Jean said on the show Reba, lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Anon, I love your response :p It gave me a giggle... I love Reba!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:16 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Halloween is not evil, it is a time to mourn the dead, and the Catholics celebrate All Saints Day (Nov 1st), and the eve (Halloween) is where people dress up in costume (according to legend) to ward off evil spirits, and confuse them. We put out Jack O Lanterns, to keep them from our homes. This is done so the good spirits can find a place to rest their souls. The candy part was added when poor children would beg for food door to door around this time, and someone decided to have the whole village do that so no one would know who the poor kid was. Nothing Evil about that!! Everything else about it is pretty commercial, and comes from many different views. So if you don't dress up, and carve a pumpkin, you may be inviting evil spirits to enter your soul or home... MUHWAHAHAHAHA!!! Just dress up and have fun, it never killed anyone!!!
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:29 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• lol, I love her too, especially barbra jean and van
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• "Catholics celebrate All Saints Day (Nov 1st), and the eve (Halloween) is where people dress up in costume (according to legend) to ward off evil spirits, and confuse them. We put out Jack O Lanterns, to keep them from our homes. This is done so the good spirits can find a place to rest their souls."

This is why i dont celebrate it, I dont believe in spirits roaming the earth, plus the pagan ties.

ecc9:5-6 KJV

5 For the living know that they will die;
    But the dead know nothing,
    And they have no more reward,
    For the memory of them is forgotten.
    6 Also their love, their hatred, and their envy have now perished;
    Nevermore will they have a share
    In anything done under the sun.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I LOVE Halloween..... Beats Christmas by a mile. All my family & most of my friends do the whole decorating & trick-or-treating thing, too... so it's never been an issue.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:39 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I agree with you, its a fun thing for the kids to dress up and get way too much candy haha. Some people just need to lighten up!
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 12:54 AM on Sep. 18, 2009