Learning to deal with my AdHd daughter!

So now my daugher is in the 1st grade and the teachers are strongly suggesting she needs help with her adhd. We have been tring behavioral modification for some time now with no results! ANy suggestions???

Lovebugto2

Asked by Lovebugto2 at 12:46 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• yeah some discipline!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Anon:58, you are simply rude and unintelligent, ADHD is not treated by discipline, it is a chemical imbalance in the brain, genius! OP - are you resisting putting her on meds for some reason? We also tried to Behavior Modification therapy with my dd in Kindergarten, it did not work and we went through 3-4 meds before we found the right one. ADHD is a chemical imbalance in which some areas of the brain are working at 100% and others that control focus and concentration are not. Medications work to bring those areas that aren't fully working to be in balance with the rest of the brain. My dd is a completely different child on and off her meds, it was a tough decision to put her on them, but the only decision for our family. PM me if you have any other questions.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 8:07 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I am a single mother of 4 (medicated) ADHD children...one in which has a behaviordisorder also and me personally I couldn't live without them on meds....my baby girl was just put on meds this week and I really didn't know how much longer I could handle it....I believe their meds have brought them a long way from where they were heading....My suggestion is talk with her doctors and try to take like living with an ADHD child one day at a time....good luck
    MomOf4_99010304

Answer by MomOf4_99010304 at 9:22 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Have you/her teachers tried speaking to her in very simple command type sentences. I have noticed that many ADHD kids can't take being 'talked at' especially when they are stimulated by things around them.
    Example... Instead of " I need you to sit quietly and do your work. Your friends are being disrupted by your behavior. Please get out your penci and focus. If you can't work, you are going to go to red." Try.. Walk to their desk, put thier pencil on their work and say "Work quietly please" then stand there until they get started. Smile when they do the right thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• As a mom of a 5 yo with ADHD and as an adult who has ADD and as an employee who works for a pediatric psychiatrist I can tell you that with the exception of ignorant #1 all of the above answers could be good ones. Every child is different and there is no cut and dry way to handle ADHD. Some kids do fine with structure & behavior modification, others need to be medicated, and some need to literally be followed around and constantly reminded of what they should be doing. You need to do what is right for your family... if you are scared of medicine because you've heard horror stories about it, I suggest you join one of the Cafemom ADHD groups and get TONS of firsthand experiences with every medication they prescribe. Unfortunately, there are no magic tricks to handleing a child with ADHD, you just have to use trial and error until you find something that works. All the best and if you'd like any other advice, PM me any time
    EmmysMom113

Answer by EmmysMom113 at 4:00 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Have you tried behavior management? It's the next step. We had to move to management for my son, modification didn't work for him at all (did for my non-ADHD kids, though!!)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Seeing, behavioral modification isn't working, then you may want to try meds. They work wonders for my son. If the meds are properly dosed, your child will be able to concentrate, be less impulsive and less agitated. My son is on Vyvanse and it has less side affects than the 3 other meds he has been on. Every child responds to meds and other treatments differently so it is a matter of trial and error. The best treatment, IMO, is a combo of medication and counseling. Also, make sure your daughter has an ADEP on file. It is an IEP for kids that just have ADHD/ADD.It is a federally mandated piece of education that must be followed. It lists what needs to be done on the child, teachers and parents sides. It can be changed as needed, atleast 1 time a school year.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:11 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• thank you all for u thoughts and suggestions with the exception of the rude first comment
    Lovebugto2

Answer by Lovebugto2 at 4:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2009