i need help please????

my baby has been coughing and i can feel her chest vibrating with phlegm,she has an appointment tomorrow morning,but i need a vaporizer to help her with that cough,but the thing is i don't have a vaporizer or i don't have money to buy one,is there anything i can do to get her room humidified???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know of anything to do in her room... just take her into the bathroom and steam up the shower for a while.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• not her room right now, but the best thing, i did with both kids, turn the shower on hot only, and sit in the bathroom with her. let the steam break up the phlem, oh and make sure you bring the nose bulb and a roll of toilet paper for tissue. suck that stuff up like their's no tomorrow. it helps them out a bit, even lets them sleep for a couple hours. if she wakes up again in a couple hours to eat and can't go back to sleep cuz of her stuffy nose, do it again. GL momma
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Yea moisture from shower. A cool mist humidifier would probably be best for her right now.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 12:52 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• get vapo rub and put it on her feet with socks on. or get the baby vapo things they stick to them so the gunk doesnt get all over the place. and sit in the bathroom with her for like 20 min, and put your shower on as hot as it will get and shut the door and just let tthe room fill up with steam and let her breathe it in.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:59 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• As already said, sit in the bathroom with a steamy shower for as long as possible, take a bulb syringe and get out all that stuff. I f u hav any baby vicks rub it on her chest. If only regular vicks, put it on her feet and cover with socks. It really does help, google it. Also, saline nose drops. But if she starts having a coughing fit, or can't stop take, her to the er or call 911. I am going threw this with my 3mo old and we are having to do breathing treatments. I'd sleep with her. If you can, keep her elavated, in a swing/ carseat, ect. that'll help with the phlem and choking.Also, I'd definetly call the doc's exchange tonight. Good Luck, your not alone. A sick baby is terrible, but she'll get better.
    madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 1:03 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• also, give her a drink of water, or pedialite if she's to little for water, after her bottle, it'll help clear her throat. Dairy only makes phlem worse.
    madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 1:06 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I agree with the steam from the shower. That should help.

Regular Vick's should NEVER be used on children younger than 2. It is full of irritants that can constrict a baby's airway. That is why they created Baby Vick's. It is safe, but the regular version is not safe for babies.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:32 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Baby Vicks is only recommended for children over 9 months too I think. I am not sure on that, but I think that is the case. Set her in a bouncer or carseat if you have one that easily comes out of your vehicle and just let the water run in the shower. Use a nasal aspirator for any mucous you can see. If she doesn't need to "blow" her nose, though, don't use it because you will just aggravate the tissue. Give her small drinks of water to help her with the cough as well. Leave her to sleep in her bouncer or carseat just to keep her elevated.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:52 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• my sons pedi said a few drops of saline solution in the nose helps break up the congestion. You can use normal salt water or buy it at the store and use a dropper. Steam shower works too. But vick baby rub on her chest, back and feet, then cover her feet with sock and put her on a light onesie.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 2:47 AM on Sep. 18, 2009