my 3 y/o daughter wakes up at night crying because foot cramps help????

usually acouple times a month

nursetiffany123

Asked by nursetiffany123 at 1:15 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Increase her potassium intake. Bananas are a good source. Does she take multivitamins? That could help as well. Good luck with your little one.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 1:17 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Yeah, Id suggest try giving her a banana before bed. I had the same problem for years until my dad starting giving me bananas regularly.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 1:36 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Well, my kids never had this kind of problem but I do give one banana a day for my kids.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 1:41 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• potassium is good and so is magnessium
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 1:41 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• bananas and multi V are good. My son gets cramps during growth spurts. If it is bad enough to wake him or to keep him awake, i give him a half dose of motrin or tylenol.
    You_Are_Invited

Answer by You_Are_Invited at 7:50 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Give her a kiwi in the evenings (more potassium than banana, more vitamin C than orange juice). It may also be growing pains; the Hylands teething tabs may help.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:35 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• She needs potassium. Bananas and kiwi.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I was having leg cramps at night and already take a powerful muscle relaxer at bed time so I asked my doc what to do shy of more drugs and he told me to drink Tonic water during the day. it has quinine in it at safe levels for consumption and it was a cureall when our grandparents and great grandparents relied on when they "took ill". Put a little flavroing and a drop of food coloring in it and it will taste and look just like a soda pop to a little kid. It's fizzy and it really works. Hope this helps, good luck. Nana Diana
    Di56

Answer by Di56 at 2:53 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• potassium is a good suggestion, but there's always a chance that she's dehydrated too and getting charlie horses. Are you limiting liquids before bed to avoid bedwetting accidents? If so, this could be causing her to be dehydrated in the middle of the night. I know its more of a problem for pregnant women, but I have that issue waking up in the morning if I haven't had enough to drink the night before then I'll stretch and get a charlie horse.
    Good luck!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2009