Does my daughter know who is her "mommy" at 6 months old?

Maybe i'm feeling insecure, but i dont think my baby girl really knows me as anything special. Do you know if 6 month olds are supposed to have a bond with their mothers at that age? I breastfeed her, play with her all day long, talk to her, even sleep with her. But I live in a house full of siblings and my mom and dad, who all shower her with attention. It seems like she smiles and "talks" to them, but when i'm around, she's very serious. she only wants me for my boobies! Has anyone ever felt like this? Does she know that i'm her mother??
p.s im also a single mom, so maybe thats why i'm so worried about her opinion of me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She will know your her mom but if your stressed at all or get nervous easliy around her she may just feel more comfortable around your parents. I'm as single mom as well, and living with my mom, and i felt like that at first, but my sons a year now and is very clingy towards me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• plz my Mil had my son calling my by my 1st name instead of mama 1st,... that made n cry, then very mad,... it changed to mama quick,.. i dont play
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Don't worry she knows excatly who you are, especially since you breastfeed. Breastfeed babies are able to smell their momma's across a whole room full of people. I am sure that you are her most favorite person :). My dd used to do that for a period of time that she would only smile and babble with my sister but as soon as she was being cranky or needed to be comforted she wanted mommy, so I knew that she knew I am her mommy.
    stpalmsgirl

Answer by stpalmsgirl at 6:25 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Your daughter knows who her mama is.....at this age, they are going to react to who is around them. If your playtime with her is more serious (if you're not laughing/if you're stressed, etc) than she is going to notice this. Have you talked to your parents about it? Maybe they have discovered a secret that you don't know? That doesn't make you a bad mommy...just makes them more experienced.
    nikspineapple

Answer by nikspineapple at 7:24 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• You are the one that feeds and cares for her. She knows you are her source of food, and that is very important to her. I know with my two, both BF. They are quieter with me and noiser with my hubby. I don't do a lot of active playing, I do more of the quiet calmer games. That serious face might be her being completly relaxed and at peace rather then ohh the big toys are here, and if you are the source of food and do the changing then everyone else is just big toy to her.
    It is harder to build an exclusive bond when you live with family and everyone takes an interest in your child. She may even call them mama as she learns to talk. It doesn't mean she doesn't know who you are or how special you are to her. Give her time and kept doing all you can with and for her and she will give you all the reward you need.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:42 AM on Sep. 18, 2009