does a sane person ever clean/sanitize bath toys?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 2:32 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• YES! Have you ever seen what happens to the water that stays inside the bath toys? Its full of mold and bacteria,etc. Squeeze one...yukkky!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 8:14 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• i wash my sons bath toys in the washer in bleach about every 2 weeks just so they dont get mold on them. both me and my son can die from touching or breathing mold in....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Unreal how NASTY plastic bath toys get.... I have started washing them in the dish washer after they soak in bleach in the sink..... some need an old toothbrush cleaning... the ones that keep the water in...balls, ducks, babydolls etc. are the worst... So hard to remember to squeeze all the water out of all of them... Aahhh the joys of keeping your baby away from germs.... Best of luck to ya...
    SweetAkMom

Answer by SweetAkMom at 2:45 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Ya.
    Why would you leave the soap all over them
    The dirt build up all that gross.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:37 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I wash them in the washer and dishwasher about every 2 weeks because they get moldy so quick, if they having a lot of mold or the ones that get water inside I just throw them away and buy new ones.
    stpalmsgirl

Answer by stpalmsgirl at 6:50 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• ....okay as a crazy i dont get this question LOL!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 7:28 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My daughter is 3.5 now and I rarely washed/sanitized her toys. It's good-to a point-to let them develop natural antibodies against germs (my daughter is very rarely sick and when she is, it's quick to pass). That being said, if a toy got dirt/food/etc on it, I would clean it.
    nikspineapple

Answer by nikspineapple at 7:30 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I never did but they always got mold buildup inside of them (ick). So I would just toss them. My kids didn't really have a lot of bath toys. Now they take showers so it's not a problem.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:50 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Yes, a sane person does clean and sanitize bath toys. Soap scum plus lime scale plus body protein equals bacterial infestation. Rinsing the toys in a mild solution of water, a drop of dish soap and some vinegar works great.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 8:04 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Yep. I soak them in the sink in bleach once a week. Otherwise they get all nasty or slimey. Gross.
    bethany_smith

Answer by bethany_smith at 8:09 AM on Sep. 18, 2009