chronically ill moms....

how do you not ruin your kids? I mean, destroy the bond, their innocence, etc. This morning (it's now 1:33am and I basically just woke up) my daughter climbed into bed with me and said "can't you just take vicodins so you can make cheesy eggs"? she had no idea mommy had been in the ER all night and was a mess of pain and morphine... and daddy was just pouring boring rice krispies. is there a book or something I can buy? I dont want them to remember this stuff, feel guilty, or end up hating me....

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 2:35 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Health

• i know how you feel...i thought i was keepin it from my kids by taking my pills in my room, they are smarter than that! my daughter asked me one day if i was taking my meds...i was shocked, she NEVER seen me take them...i just spend my pain free time with them, they know i love them but they cant understand whats wrong....if need someone who understands and WILL NOT judge please PM me....
    krazi_beautyful

Answer by krazi_beautyful at 3:19 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• First let me start off by saying Kudos for be being aware of how the situation might affect your children even though you are obviously in pain. I am not sure if there are any books out there that will help you but the best advice I can give you is to love them. They wont hate you for being sick. It is the little things that matter. Reading them a book, cuddling in bed, saying I love you. I hope things work out for the best for you. Good luck and God Bless!
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 3:16 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• why would you keep it from your kids? they can see and hear ya know, they know more than you think. other family members will discuss your situations in front of them even if you think you are hiding certain things. get it out in the open, discuss it in a healthy way, these kids can handle it and soon they will be old enough to handle more. treat it like it's not a bad thing, and maybe they won't be inclined to want to snoop into your meds when they are teenagers. there is never any good outcome when the family keeps secrets.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:54 AM on Sep. 18, 2009