At what age should we allow our school age kids to come home alone?

I have a ten (10) year old grade 4 kid who wants to come home alone using a public vehicle. Do you think I should start having him learn how to be independent and come home alone?

mommytoots

Asked by mommytoots at 4:06 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• EEEK! This is all personal opinion. I have a boy, 10 going on 11 in October and I am still not crazy about him being alone. I really think it depends on your child, the situation and for how long. I have left DS home for a half hour but that is with grandma right next door. Although I work at my sons school he still goes home on the bus because I work after school is over. He walks from the bus stop which is VERY close to home and I trust him with that but, gosh, there are so many weirdos out there! I know I didn't give you advice but I wonder the same as you do. How young is old enough?
    ItsMeGigi69

Answer by ItsMeGigi69 at 5:16 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My grandparents raised me&when I was about 10,they started letting me come home alone(but we had family members like 2 seconds away)but I had to go straight in the house&lock the door behind me until they both got home from work....My sister-in-law is almost 13 years old and she's scared to come home to an empty house so my mother-in-law always has to be home when she gets home...I think that if the child is mature enough to handle being home alone&can follow whatever rules you set,then that's fine..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:13 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• It is based on how well your kid can take it. My son had several kindergarten classmates last year who walked home alone from the school bus. 6- 8 blocks on a very busy street, crossing two major roads. I kept an eye on them because I was out at that time as well, but they handled the walk and themselves very well. My son on the other hand would cry if he got off the bus before we got to the stop. You know your child best.
    You_Are_Invited

Answer by You_Are_Invited at 7:54 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I was on my own at age 7 but we don't live in that world anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I was a "latch key kid" in the 2nd or 3rd grade but like it was said we don't live in that world any more!!! I have a almost 10 yr old and I couldn't imagine leaving her alone for 10 mins...my house would be tore apart!!! It really depends on the kids these days, need to know responsibility and be mature!!!
    MomOf4_99010304

Answer by MomOf4_99010304 at 9:52 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I think ren is a little young myself. I would say at least 14.yrs old. I mean since no one hires any body to babysit until they are 14 anyways. I guess that might mean something.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:47 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My son is in 4th grade and he was home alone a few days for a few hours during the summer. I think if the bus takes him right to the door step that is one thing but if he walks home that is different. In our community the kids have to walk at least a mile home. I don't believe that a 10 year old should have to worry about that especially during the winter.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 8:24 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• We have 50 predators within 10 miles of us. My son never goes anywhere alone. I know several victims of sexual predators and would never take that chance with my son.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• My son is turning 11 in less than month. We have left him alone for about 5 minutes before with his grandparents next door. He is extremely responsible, and I don't think for a second that he would do anything he shouldn't, but it still scares me. You should also check the laws for your state on this. Many don't have minimum ages for kids to be left home alone, but some do. You don't want to be breaking the law and have someone call the police on you.
    sandra1023

Answer by sandra1023 at 12:21 PM on Sep. 25, 2009