How can i make my son understand the mistake he committed is WRONG.should i punish him?

My son is 8yrs. old.i got a note from his class teacher that he brought the cut -outs of pictures of cars and he was selling these cut-outs in the class.pls. help me what should i talk to him politely so that he wont do like this again.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:31 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think your son is a very smart business man! You should be proud that he is trying to earn money. Just tell him that he cant sell things at school unless he ask the teacher first or if there is a school function when he is allowed to sell his crafts.
    Joanne28

Answer by Joanne28 at 4:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I dont really see the problem he was just selling little pictures not drugs
    just tell him to not do that .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:05 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I had this happen in class last year!!!! We had a reward system in place where the kids could go to our "class store" to buy trinkets with what they earned. I allowed him to "sell" the pictures (and other kids made things as well) to their classmates in return for our class money. They then bought trinkets and I took them to the women and children's shelter. It ended up being a great economics and civics lesson.

mnrsmom900

Answer by mnrsmom900 at 9:38 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I am impressed with the idea by mnrsmom900.
    Deepal

Answer by Deepal at 9:53 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Yeah, I wouldn't go too far with the "right and wrong" thing here, because telling him that selling stuff is wrong could cause him to get confused...I mean, this is America...EVERYTHING is for sale, isn't it?! I would simply tell him that some things just aren't ok to do at school. If he wants a reason, explain that the kids buying the pictures may not have permission from their parents and the school doesn't want parents getting angry at them for allowing their kid to spend lunch money on car pictures.
    All in all I wouldn't make a big deal out of it if he says he won't do it again.
    EmmysMom113

Answer by EmmysMom113 at 5:10 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• You have a future business man on your hands. I don't really know if there is a way to make him understand that what he did is wrong, because people selling things they don't want happens everyday.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I totally agree with joanne28. she told you the right way to go.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:26 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I don't see anything wrong with it. You have a very bright man on your hands. If the teacher is going to negative about his enterpuering skills, I would be trying to encourage that behavior. Have a "store" in your yard or something to encourage him.
    Kristin216

Answer by Kristin216 at 5:58 PM on Sep. 20, 2009