Do you support an adopted (adults) right to access their pre-adoption birth records?

It's my belief that a state should not pass legislation which excludes one group of citizens from the same rights that (non-adoptive) citizens possess. Open records is a civil rights issue.

Our own US surgeon general has said family medical history IS important.
www.hhs.gov/familyhistory. My family doctor has said UP TO one third of common diseases can run in families.

MOST birthparents want to be found. In the past year (thru May, 2009) in Oregon an open records state- 10,189 records have been ordered by OR adoptees. The number of parents who submitted a contact preference form asking for NO contact? 85. http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/chs/order/58update.shtml#05312009

Where do you stand on the adoptees right to access our true record of birth?

adopteeme

Asked by adopteeme at 7:17 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Adoption

• I support undeniable, uncensored, unrevokable access for adult adoptees to their original birth certificates and pre and post adoption records.

This is not about reunion. This is not about family medical history. This is about the 14th Ammendment and denying no American citizen the same right that another American citizen has. This is about irradicating archaic laws based on the outdated social stimas of unwed mothers and their "bastard" children. Those stigmas aren't "OK" anymore, society is past that and we as a society shouldn't allow laws based on such discriminatory principles to go on any longer.

For the anon on page one, your comment is irrelevant. A first mom CHOOSES to give up her rights. An adoptee is BORN WITHOUT those rights. We didn't CHOOSE to be relinquished, we didn't CHOOSE to be adopted and we certainly didn't choose to have our records fraudulently altered and sealed as government secrets.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:01 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I am torn. On one hand, I think they should be able to, for medical purposes and such. On the other hand, there are some birthparents who don't want to be found. I have a friend who was raped right after we graduated high school. She couldn't bring herself to have an abortion, but she was also very honest and said there was no way she could ever look at that baby and NOT think of what happened and she was very afraid she'd hurt the baby. So, she gave him up for adoption, and was very clear that she did not ever want to see the baby again. I feel that while the baby has the right to want to know his medical history and to know about his parents, she also has the right to not want to be reminded of what happened. I think maybe there should be an opt-out, where you can opt not to be found. I also think they could make medical history part of the process, where the adoptive parents have access to it, con't...
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:42 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• and the child would then have it as an adult. You know, kind of a "When the child is an adult, they can come find you. If you don't want that to happen, check here" thing. Not that simple, obviously, but I think you get my point.

I guess I just feel that both sides have rights, and there has to be some kind of compromise in there that makes both sides mostly happy.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:45 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I like Oregons way of balancing things out, making it possible for the parent to attach a letter of contact preferance. Yes, towards contact- yes towards contact with the help of an intermediary, or no
    contact. But no matter what the response- the adoptee has access to their record of birth.

I can't imagine that many adoptees that are told no would go sit on Moms doorstep, knowing they would be rejected, but even so- we have laws on the books now that protect against stalkers and harrasment. Why assume adoptees could cause harm having their info?

Whatever happened to innocent till proven guilty?
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 9:36 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I think that this, among many things, has to be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. The problem with jumping in and making a law about it is that there will immediately be loopholes that "less-than-honest" people can take advantage of. I think this country is a bit too eager to generalize everything.
    marathon_mom

Answer by marathon_mom at 9:43 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Greetings, I with absolutely no hesitation believe, each and every person whom is adopted/was adopted, has every RIGHT to this info! It is not only civil rights, but moral rights as well. Each individual, should have the right to know of their birth origination, family history, and original certificate of Birth. SOME may think not, however it is not those whom had their civil rights violated! I am my twin sons Firstmom, and they derserve to be able to have a history (medical wise, and most certainly family origination wise), just as each of us do. The twins did not ask to be placed into a second class certification, and they had NO say in this decision. I owe this to them...if THEY wish for it. Even if they do not, they should have all info THEY request. IMHO, there is no privacy for me or my family, when it comes to THEIR rights, they did not ask to be born...then relinquished to strangers to be forced to bond with!
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 11:08 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Few issues in adoption are clear cut. For me, this one is. Adopted persons have a right to access their adoption records. Birth mothers do not have the right to remain hidden/anonymous from their children. If a birth mother is not strong enough to handle a reunion, she has the right to refuse a relationship. However, she owes it to her child to answer their questions and provide them any information about their birth and adoption.

For the record, I am a reunited birth mom who had never told a soul about my son's adoption, and he found me over 8 years ago. As for the situation of rape, I know several women who relinquished because rape was involved. They regretted their decision later, but for a woman who cannot face seeing their child, they should provide all information at the very least.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 11:33 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Yes, I think adoptees should have access to any information on the adoption, whether pre adoptive or post adoptive and anything in between. Luckily, I was able to obtain my son's original birth certificate and I have everything that I have to do with the adoption in a safe deposit box. Now, I am sure there's tons of paperwork that I do not have, but I saved all I could for him.

His birth parents are no longer in contact with us unfortunately however. I would like him to meet them one day if they are willing. They are an older couple(birth mom is 49 & birth dad is 62) and I'd like to start an open adoption but they do not want it right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Do we really want laws that protect secrets and lies? In what other circumstace does law protect in such a matter? Men are not protected from their paternity even if they expect not to have it revealed.

Don't want to be found? Just say no, or change your name.

It's discriminatory to have laws that apply only to one class of people based on who parented them.
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 12:03 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• In what other circumstances do laws protect in such a matter. Well we had a girl yell rape this week in NY. gang rape actually. the names and pictures of all five males have been splashed about, but the woman's name has been protected even though we now know that her accusations were false.

I don't like the way the states have blanket blocked all adoption information, but there are circumstances where privacy does need to be protected. Oregon is probably setting the standard for the future. In other words, it is not all about you. The rights of the other two people also need to be evaluated.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2009