Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If the father of my child has no legitimate, paper job, can I still receive child support from him?

He does have income, but nothing that is easily traceable. He has not spoken with me since I gave him the news of my pregnancy.

Answer Question

Asked by Candleashes0521 at 7:52 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Thank you everyone, I know it has been a very long time since I have signed in to CafeMom, but here is the update. I do work to support my child (children now) and have from before the beginning. The biological father I was referring to in this question is still out of the picture. I have not taken action as far as child support goes. My boyfriend has been with me now since I was less than 4 months pregnant with my now 2 1/2 year old. Our son calls him Daddy, by choice. The biodad (or sperm donor) was contacted after my son's birth and I offered to just send him pictures if he even wanted that, but he failed to respond. So I left it alone and built the beautiful life with my boyfriend and son which has expanded to two sons now :-) Dylan is 2 1/2 years old now and Colby just made 3 months. We couldn't be happier, but I do still worry that the sperm donor will eventually decide to butt into our lives. Thanks for your responses!

    Comment by Candleashes0521 (original poster) at 1:14 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

  • I will give you the info I know after you answer this; do you work to support your child?

    Answer by momofspuds at 2:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

  • If he says he doesn't have a job, then you can ask the court to refer him into an employment program, which he will have to attend 2-3 times a week, and bring back a list (to court) of all the jobs he's applied to, who he spoke with there, and so on. In Maryland they have a program called Adam's House, that's where I had my son's father referred to by the court, needless to say he has job now!!

    Answer by kfrank214 at 8:32 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

  • Well eventaully when he gets a job you will get your $. Do you have it court ordered that he pays? if not I would do so. My aunt's ex decieded to NEVER have a job after they split so he would not have to pay the 20 bucks a week (back then) for the two kids...haha...guess what he bays now!! and they are in thier late 20's! yep and it is inflated rate. My aunt now gets a check for $180 a week!!! So eventually it will catch up to him. He can also go to jail!

    Currently my brother is unemployed and he is getting odd jobs to pay his child support. He just takes it up to the friend of the court so he don't get behind!

    Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

  • Oh I hope you nail his a** to the wall. I HATE DEADBEAT DAD'S!
    Best of luck to you. My friend just had this happen to her and unfortunately she got NOTHING until he got a job then got backed CS.

    Answer by SHELEBELLE at 9:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

  • Good luck on this one. Get pics of him working or spending $$ to show the judge...also get the pic's notorized with the date and time or the judge wont allow them in court. Get his friends to testify that he makes $$ Report him to the IRS as working under the table and not reporting income then his boss will get it too and the boss will give the irs and the judge the info necesary to get you the support you deserve!

    Answer by vbruno at 8:20 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.