My daughter turned 10 the end of July. I am concerned because she acts so much younger than I see other kids her age act. Any suggestions? Does playing with children in our neighborhood who are a few years younger hurt this siutation?

kodden

Asked by kodden at 8:14 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• In this day and age I would think that's a blessing!! lol But yeah, I would say that playing with younger kids will probably keep her maturity down a bit. But unless she's acting like she's 5 I wouldn't worry about it. good luck :)
    kameka

Answer by kameka at 8:25 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Let them be children, kids grow up way to fast these days!
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 8:26 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• when my dd was 10 she was still into littlest petshop and buling a tree house, when she was 11 samething..but the girls in her grade were concernd about there nails there hair (acting like girls ) and my dd got along better with the boys even her teacher noticed but said she thinks thats because boys still play games ( raceing, ball,foursquare ) now age 12 she has given up the littlest petshop for the most part and shes still a "tomboy" in most eyes. she rarley acts like 12. and there are no kids on our street but she will walk 45 feet to the next town to play with kids and there ages range from 10 and up. ( i live right next to the town line ) but dd gets along better with younger kids and actully plays..shes not worried about hair and nails yet..they age on there own pace i wouldnt be upset or worried yet. if there haveing fun why not.. but i do know how you feel xo
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Just let her be who she is. It's more like the other girls are trying to act older then they are. At 10 I was just getting interested in playing with Barbies. And even at 12 I still played with them even though I knew it was "weird". I had no interest in music, fashion, my hair, dating, etc. I still don't get along with other women because we have very little in common (other then having kids and even then I raise my kids very differently then most other moms I know). My best friend growing up was 5 years younger then me (mature for her age, though) and we always got along great. We're 32 and 27 now and still friends.
    I'm happy my 9yo is more interested in Bratz dolls and building houses with her siblings using the legos then wanting to wear makeup and stuff. I'll encourage the toys as long as possible.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:13 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Anonymous 7:44 do you have my daughter? That's just how my 11 yo dd is. I say at least they aren't interested in boys yet. Mine likes boys in the manner of "they like to play sports". She's a "rough and tumble sort of girl" I used to be concerned that she wasn't interested in the "girly-girly" stuff but I'm starting to get the picture of who she is and celebrating her "type". Not all kids are the same and I think we as parents want to make them a "cookie cutter" type. I'm to blame also, but I'm trying to change and not to put pressure on her. It's ok if she plays w/younger ones, I'd be more concerned if she was playing w/older ones. lol
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 11:45 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• be glad. dont worry. its true kids these days grow up too fast. I think all us moms are telling our kids to slow down some. at least where I live are. my neighbors and friends are too.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I agree with pp's who think you should not worry. Children grow so fast these days. Honestly, as long as she is not acting out like a much younger child, or bossing/bullying the younger kids in the neighborhood, I would not worry. I remember growing up, being an only child, a lot of my playmates outside school were cousins who were up to 5 years younger than me. Nothing to be overly concerned about. But if you still worry, maybe you can find other families nearby with children close in age and set up playdates or a trip somewhere fun.
    PrincesaBoricua

Answer by PrincesaBoricua at 12:54 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Sounds like she is a lot like me, didn't "grow up" until late. I don't think its anything to worry about. She may get teased a little until she catches up, but she will sooner or later. Its actually then that you need to worry because she will have all the boys attention because she will have been the only one to give them the time of day for the last couple years. GL
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 10:34 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I only hope to have this "problem" when my daugher is 10... it is MUCH better than worrying because she is trying to act too old and do things she shouldn't be at that age that unfortunately so many are.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 10:47 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I dont think so, Where we live at we have kids from 18 to 3 and they all play together. The older kids have taught alot of the kids in the neighborhood different things, Like soccer, baseball etc... Its actually pretty nice. The oldest girl that lives here she comes door to door and asks permission to take the kids to the park, ( we can see the park from our house) and she will go down there with 20 plus kids and they just play & play! I wouldnt worry about your daughter at all :)
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 8:45 AM on Sep. 22, 2009