My daughter smells some days....

My dd is 8 and smells bad... I make her shower everyday! but something she's doing or not doing is making her smell. It's comparable to like, if you've ever had hamsters, and when the bedding does not get cleaned out and is soaked with urine, thats what she smells like. Between her legs, when she is sitting with her legs apart its so strong. Its not this way everyday, I know she does not wipe all the time and I try to talk to her about that saying it could cause an infection, or her to smell but still why is the smell so strong? I have never had this issue ever, my son has never had issues with hygeine either. She hates showering, hates baths, doesn't wipe 100% of the time, can't smell herself for some reason. I've asked her can't you smell that? She says NO! I love my daughter dearly, I'm worried for her, anyone else have this problem or any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have her wipe with baby wipes or something
    Does she have accidents and not tell you ?
    I know exactly what you are talking about my brothers smelled like that even in their hair on their heads til they were like 13
    If you have to follow her to the bathroom til she learns to wipe everytime
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• She might not be cleaning everything. You might need to go and show her where to clean. Even though you think she knows how to shower. She might not. If it does not help. You might need to bring her to the doctor and see if it is a medical issue.

Answer by louise2 at 8:43 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Poster here
    YES I had a big problem with her hair smelling for a long time too... a bad overwhelming musty smell... I feel so bad for her but don't know what to do. She is getting a little old for supervised baths and showers ... although she is not shy what so ever! I try and get into the bath room and scrub her hair once or twice a week, i think she maybe does not get all the conditioner rinsed out?
    I'll try the fushable wipes again and see if that helps, I've noticed she often does not wipe well after poopin, there are sometimes poo stains in her undies, bad ones!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• You just might have to bathe her at her age to make sure she is doing it correctly.

If she says no then tell her you better not have a smell then. But if she is doing an ok job you might need to take her to the doctor just to make sure nothing is going on inside her.

I wonder if she can use that powdered stuff you sprinkle on your panties so it will keep us woman dry feeling. Or get her some panty liners. But for sure take her to the doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• First makes sure she drinks plenty of water - so urine is less concentrated. Next I would take her to walmart and get her some body wash and/or bubble bath stuff. Have her "girly" up. When my daughter was young they had candy smelling child perfumes, bubblegum, cotton candy, etc. Actually decent perfume just really sweet smelling, she loved them. If she gets all girly I'm sure her hygeine will improve. Good luck on this.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 10:40 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• In all honesty I hated baths at that age too. Maybe get her something to interest her (let her pick out some bubble bath at Target or Walmart - or even Bath and Body works just because theirs smell sooooooooo good. Get her in the bath. Let her soak (it'll at least get that area) - if need be, she's still young, get her something to DO while she's in there soaking as well....toys, bath crayons, etc.

And yes, maybe she is getting a bit old for supervised baths and showers...but if she isn't doing it correctly, then she needs to be shown how. Better to get it sooner and cause some minor embarrassment than for you to have to do it in 4 or 5 years when it's probably more embarrassing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I have the same problem with my daughter. She's not wiping well, and I've been on her case about it. I'm also wondering if she's washing properly. I've started checking up on her in the bath/shower more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My DD is 7 and I still supervise her baths/showers. Until I know that she is washing herself completely and isn't having trouble rinsing her hair, I will help her.

I think everyone covered what I was going to say. I'd definately get her the flushable wipes and see if that helps her. My 5 yr old has a tough time with regular toilet paper, but the flushables work better for her.
    scrapbookmylife

Answer by scrapbookmylife at 1:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Perhaps she's "leaking"?My step daughter has an abnormally shaped bladder and it doesn't empty all the way when we uses the bathroom which causes her to leak throughout the day (and night). It's not enough to show or anything but you can smell it BIG time. She's also more prone to urinary tract infections because of it. You should tell her pediatrician about your concerns... he can run a urinalysis that could tell you a lot about if it's a hygiene problem or something she can't help. Until then try giving her panty liners to wear during the day (they even have scented ones!) and have her use the flushable wipes at home. As far as the supervised bathing goes... if she's not bathing correctly then it's better for you to nip it in the bud now BEFORE puberty and such causes even more hygiene issues AND more need for privacy.
    All the best!
    EmmysMom113

Answer by EmmysMom113 at 4:36 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• If she doesn't like to bathe, have her take a shower. Make sure she wipes with a Cottonelle type wipe after she uses the bathroom. Make sure she changes her underware daily, if not twice a day. You can also mention to the doctor the odor issue and see if they have any ideas. You want to get the hygiene down before puberty, which could be starting anytime.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:04 PM on Sep. 18, 2009