For parents who have banned soda...

not toddlers but kids who are not allowed to have soda...Do you allow sweet tea? I was just thinking about that and it seems they would be almost equal in the bad for you department. Caffeine and sugar and all... Just curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's not Soda! (It's Pop!) :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My neighbor banned soda, and she says no tea either. I asked her yesterday what her sons were to have while here,and told her i made tea--she said none. Because the sugar/caffeine is equal
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 9:25 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• we do soda on a very limited basis,and even then it is usually caffeine free. we do iced tea but it is caffeine free also. the sugar in iced tea is still much less than soda. we do koolaide or soymilk almost 90% of the time.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:28 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My children weren't allowed soda or tea, the caffeine mainly, but also the sugar, and if they had soda out, they had to have non-diet soda. At home they drank water or milk, once a day juice, and sometimes for a treat watered down juice to make a little bit of a sweet treat. Once they got older they drank what they liked outside of the house, nothing I could do about that, but I figured I'd done all I could to help them make what I considered reasonable choices.

Answer by Bmat at 9:30 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Sweet tea would be the same thing as far as the caffeine and sugar content. It just wouldn't have the carbination, which is really rough on young urinary tracts.

My kids are just allowed water, juice, or milk. If we grab something fast food, I allow them to have lemonaide, Hi-C, apple juice, or PowerAide, if they're an option. Otherwise, they have to get water.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:37 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• mine simply drink water. they've never had anything else (unless my ex gives them pop or punch when he sees them. ugh!), and for the most part, that is all they ask for. they are not much for milk as a beverage (we're a dairy free family, so its almond milk), they don't drink juice... we have a lot of "shakes" made from fresh fruit, milk etc.

my dd, who is 8 drinks mainly water while at school, and only grabs a juice on occasion. she says that unless its watered down, she doesn't like it. its too sweet.
    i think i've done my part in guiding them into making good choices for their self. its a happy feeling when your two year old gets up in the morning asking for ice water. :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:46 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• we don't ban soda in this house. But since I have a soda/caffine addiction I don't buy it. It's not good for you in lare amounts. My kids are allowed soda when we go out to eat and honestly yea is actually worse than soda.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:14 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I have ADHD children so I have banned soda, sugar, caffine & even TEA!!! My kids drink kool aid juices water or milk....sodas are ONLY for special occasions or good behavior!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My son drinks water, milk, fresh squeezed orange juice and peppermint tea (no caffine and no sugar). He mainly drinks ice cold water sometimes with a lemon squeezed in it. Soda is really bad for kids teeth and body so we don't bother with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Our household drinks water and milk only. My toddler will have nothing to do with juice, and asks for water 98% of the time. We set an example and he followed it. I am frankly stunned that anyone who bans soda and tea gives their kids Koolaid! WTHeck? That stuff is loaded with sugar and is nothing more than artificial colors and flavors. Why would anyone give that to their kids, especially with ADHD. That's insane!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Sep. 18, 2009