Potty trained son is peeing in his room, help!

My 4 year old son has been potty trained for over a year now. Recently, we found that he had pee'd in his room. Then we found poop hidden in a few different toys. While the poop appeared to be a one time thing, he continues to pee all over his room in a variety of things, mostly toys.

We have talked to him and he simply tells us he doesn't know why he is doing it. We have thrown things away that he has ruined and made him put some of them in the trash as well. This doesn't appear to deter it. We have also noticed that he is peeing on himself and quickly and quietly changing his clothes so we won't notice (but of course we do, because he is wearing different clothes)

I have an appt with his doc on Monday to discuss this and also check to make sure he doesn't have a UTI or something like that. I am prepared to take him to a therapist if necessary to get to the bottom of this.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• NOPE BUT MY SON IS 3 AND IM STILL POTTY TRAINING AND I BLAM MYSELF HE ISNT ALREADY IT IS SO HARD TOO DO
    ashley_nick30

Answer by ashley_nick30 at 10:10 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I am sorry but this made me laugh. My son did this too. I was totally frustrated because the carpet in his room smelled horrid and I was constantly steam cleaning it. Once boys figure out they can pee outside, the world becomes their urinal for awhile. At 4 it is NOT uncommon for them to wet themselves and change clothes. They are too busy and distracted to want to take time out to go...then wait until it is too late and oops! This won't last long I promise. Trust me he is not abnormal and will not need a therapist. Just tell him everytime that that is a no no. Watch him closely for awhile. Look for signs he has to go, tell him he cannot play in his room alone until he stops doing this. Play down your frustration, or it will be a power thing and he will do it to get a rise out of you
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:18 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Thanks. I think we may have figured out what has triggered this. My husband said he came into our room this morning and said that a noise was scaring him. He has been mentioning monsters and stuff but I didn't think much about it....but I think he is doing it at night or early in the morning because he doesn't want to come out of his room because of these noises he says he is hearing. I told him I would come listen tonight to see what it is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• nope but when he has to go to the bathroom you could throw cereal in the toilet and have him try to hit them as he pees then maybe he would rather pee in the potty
    momandytai

Answer by momandytai at 8:05 PM on Sep. 28, 2009