With my first child I was not able to produce breast milk due to receiving 5 different IV's simultaneously during labor; is there a remote chance I will produce breast milk this time?

High risk pregnancy number 2. I have type II diabetes. Suffered post partum depression after baby number 1 because of inability to produce breast milk. Wasn't told by OB or any hospital staff that millk production can be halted due to IV's.

thegreatone814

Asked by thegreatone814 at 9:33 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Your information is not accurate and you dont have a good understanding of stuff (based only on what you wrote) PLEASE take a Bradly Method class --you and your baby will thanks me later -- if you can not afford the$100 to take the class buy and read his book -- and btw if you are insured the class in usually reimbursed 100%-- because the out come of this class = less money out for them cause youll be that much smarter
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:38 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Natural Childbirth by Robert Bradley
    also The Bradley way by Susan McClutcheon (use this only as a supplement
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:40 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Yes is is quite possible. I have never heard of IV's doing that. Make your wishes known to your doctor and make it clear that you only want the things absolutly necessary to help you deliver safely and that you plan on breastfeeding. Get a different doctor if he does not seem open to the idea. My first doctor actually said to me "to be honest, I don't know much about breastfeeding" when I asked him a question. WHAT!!?? So I basically was on my own with both of my children! Also, contact a lactation consultant at the hospital and they may be able to help you as well. Good luck and remember, how you feed your child does not make you more or less a mother. Unconditional love defines a mother.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 9:43 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• If you have a hard time while in the hospital you can always work on it when you get home.

Women who haven't given birth can stimulate milk production to nurse babies~ with help, support, and information, you can do it too!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:56 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Visit with an IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant, you can do a google search) before and after delivery. She will be able to clear up any questions, or misinformation yo may have received along the way. Additionally she will make sure baby is nursing properly. Congratulations on the pregancy, I hope all goes well for you.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 10:11 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• i agree that you should talk to a lactation consultant but i am confident that you can produce milk. best wishes!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I think you were sorely mislead in your last birth. Milk takes up to six days to come in, and unles those IVs were pumping you full of estrogen or antihistamines, they would not have affected milk production at all.

Too many moms think they're not producing when they really are...they look for the wrong things.

Please drop by the breastfeeding moms group. We can help you out...because your likelihood of being a successful breastfeeder is already 97 percent. We can close up that gap.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:37 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• All you need is to educate yourself, get to know as much as you can...there is allot of good info and support online. Also if you can get hold of a professional lactation consultant it would help allot. And last but not least...be as positive about it as you can! Good luck!
    BFproblems

Answer by BFproblems at 2:56 AM on Sep. 19, 2009