breastfeeding a week old baby

i need some help with amt @ each feeding. A little background... He weighed 7lb 12 oz @ birth. By the time he left, he was 7lb 2oz. He is still @ that weight now @ 8 days old. Dr & lactation consultant are getting worried about him not gaining weight. He is eating at least 8 times a day. Due to a cracked left nipple, I am only feeding from the right. He tends to go into a milk coma before he is finished eating though. She has me pumping the left and storing it. At this last appt, she changed tactics. I am supposed to feed him on the right and then offer him what I pump on the left. I fed him on the right and then the next time, I pumped both breasts to see how much I get at each breast. I have been getting 1oz on the left and now see that I get 3 oz on the right. We fed him a trial amt of 2oz since he does seem to take the whole 3 oz at each feeding. He fought the bottle, but got it into it but he spit it up through night.

tabbykat6802

Asked by tabbykat6802 at 9:42 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 1st, how many wet diapers is he having in a 24 hour period. He should have 10-12 wet (this doesn't mean soaked but damp or moist) If you nurse on the right and pump on the left, then next feeding you need to nurse on the left and pump on the right. Get a nipple sheild until the cracked one heals. If he is spitting that extra up, than means that he is probably too full. His stomach is the size of his fist. Nurse more often. as long as he isn't LOSING weight at this point and he is getting enough wet diapers, I wouldn't fret too much just yet.
    for your nipples, make sure that you rub a little milk on them before you put them away, let them air dry completely, and use the nipple cream. If they are cracking because of the latch, try a different hold, football worked best for us or laying down.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:54 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I nursed on demand and I would also recommend nursing on teh cracked nipple too. Sounds liek LO is getting too much milk from the bottle and tehrefore spitting it up. I totally agree with PP about using your milk to rub on nipples and then let air dry.

Are you talking to a LC-who is giving you all these pumping directions? Just curious. The best way you get breast milk is from the tap-pumps are never a good way to judge how much milk you are producing.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 10:22 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Offer your child the breast every hour, let him have each for at least 10 min. I would nurse on both sides if you can, if not definatly pump and store. Pumping is not an indicator to how much milk you have. I couldn't pump worth poo, but my kids trippled there weight in 4 months, and they were 9 lbers. My oldest nursed every hour for 20 min each side for 14 hours out of the day. My youngest every three hoursat 20 mins round the clock for three months. Get an infant scale, weigth him before. Then weight him after a feeding. This will tell you how many ounces he has consumed, not how much you made, but probably close to it.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:37 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Ask a lactation consultant....there are a lot out there. Don't just listen to the doctor, they are not always so into BF. My son was 6lbs even when he was born and by the time (he was in the NICU for a week with problems and didn't even take a bottle but had to be fed through his veins) we left the hospital he was nursing o.k, I was in a lot of pain (both my nipples were cracked and bleeding) a nipple shield will help with that! He was at 5lbs 13oz when we left the hospital and a week later was 5lbs 8oz, so my doctor told us to put him on formula too. I didn't, I got a scale kept weighing him myself, didn't go the doctor EVERYDAY like they wanted but every couple of days, kept on nursing and pumping and nursing and pumping, and he did start gaining weight. I was so mad at my doctor though cause the weighed him fully clothed one time and naked at the next visit (he was born in winter so he had layers on!) Hope that help!
    Morganne1231

Answer by Morganne1231 at 10:53 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• If he's not continuing to lose, I wouldn't be worried. I'd nurse on demand, and look for 6-8 diaper changes a day. I believe his gain will start to pick up. I wouldn't stress myself out with all the pumping and bottle feeding after nursing, but that's just me.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:00 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• His weight is actually right where I'd expect it. The gain really doesn't start till after week one. His discharge weight may well have NOT been his lowest. Ten percent loss, which is normal loss in week one, would have meant an additional three ounces down from the discharge weight. So...he may well have gained!

Are you chaning 6-8 dipes in 24 hours? That's the measure that matters. Unless you're NOT changing enough dipes, don't even LOOK at the weights.

I would NOT get into offering a bottle at this point. You don't need it.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:30 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I agree with gdiamante...she is the guru of BFing in my eyes...like I said in PM he most likely lost more after discharge and gained back so he looks like he gained little, but in fact had gained good.

Relax..you're doing great....at his 2 week expect 4-6 oz gain from his 1 week weight...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 5:54 PM on Sep. 18, 2009