Can I harvest my sage?

This is my first year growing sage.. Everything I read says it has to flower before I am able to harvest the leaves??.... Is this true? Most everything says it will harvest by the end of summer, and here in the midwest the fall weather came much sooner then normal. It hasn't flowered at all-and I am wondering if it will?! Maybe I need to let it go another year before I try to harvest it?? Any input would be great! :)

MamaMulder

Asked by MamaMulder at 9:44 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Home & Garden

• idk... at my last house, there was some growing there, and i never saw it flower. i would use the fresh leaves... so idk i hope i wasn't screwing up! lol did the reference that said wait for it to flower, mention why? i'm assuming it's nothing dangerous- but maybe the full flavor isn't there??? hard to say. have you tried tasting it?
    mb_dolphin

Answer by mb_dolphin at 11:16 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I have only found one site that actually stated a reason.. Which was that once it flowers it is *stronger* and more able to *take* the harvest well enough to survive through the winter.. I am not sure.. One of my lavender plants didn't flower either this year?! I really need to go to the library and find some good herb reference books..

MamaMulder

Answer by MamaMulder at 12:33 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• ah... and you have harsh winters there... not so here. doesn't get hot enough here either, which is probably why mine never flowered, but it probably wouldn't have hurt mine to harvest since it rarely freezes here.
    mb_dolphin

Answer by mb_dolphin at 12:59 PM on Sep. 18, 2009