Looking for online reading games for my mentally challenged 10 yr old. I need some help finding free or almost free games for him.

My son is supposedly in 4th grade, thanks to "no child left behind". He doesn't know how to read or write! He is mentally challenged, and considered to be in the MR category. I need some help finding some cheap or free sites for him to go to that will actually help to teach him how to read. Online schools would be great, if they aren't going to cost me an arm and a leg. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Please email me at tggrsmommy@yahoo.com

tggrsmommy

Asked by tggrsmommy at 9:51 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in

• PBS has tons of games desinged to teach pre reading skills, I think reading as well. Reader Rabbit also has age appriopaite educational games, not sure if on-line but you can buy the cds for it. Is he not in special ed for his reading? I would talk to the school about how best to help him.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:00 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Starfall is our favorite!!!
    mnrsmom900

Answer by mnrsmom900 at 10:08 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I heard Starfall is awesome. It is what our computer teacher uses with the preschoolers and Kindergarteners. You can also check out www.sitesforteachers.com. It is a website that has pages of other websites for education. Read the descriptions and figure out what sites would work for you. Get some preschool workbooks and teach him how to write. He needs to be able to make straight, wavy, etc lines. Make simple shapes too before he can learn to write. As for reading, start with beginning letter sounds and easy sight words. It sounds like you have to start as if he was really a preschooler or Kindergartener. I have many preschool/Kindergarten worksheets and file folder games. PM me and I can see about sending you a packet for him to try.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:11 PM on Sep. 18, 2009