Biting while nursing

My 7 month old just just got her two front teeth and out of left field she has started to bite when I'm breastfeeding her . (OUCH!) She never bit while she was teething, which was more when I expected it. Anyone have any advice on how to nip this in the butt.

MommaMaurer

Asked by MommaMaurer at 10:09 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• all of mine went through it... it sucks.

k, sounds mean, but i would gently thump their cheek and firmly tell them "no biting!" if they did it again, i would stop the feeding. wait a few (half an hour?) and try again. it took only a few times, and they stopped- it doesn't take much to get your point across.

Troy only bit me once, he was about 8 months. it hurt, i screamed out of pain (he drew blood) and it scared the crap out of him. he never did it again. not saying thats the best way to solve the problem, just what happened, and that he associated the scream with what he did, and never did it again. they are a lot brighter at that age than given credit for.

good luck, i know it hurts.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:33 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• What I did was as soon as he bit I would take his head and push it into my breast....I know sounds like I am suffacating him but it was for a second.

Or you unlatch say no biting or something like that and wait a second before you allow a relatch.

I think all babies go through this b/c the teeth are so new-they dont know it hurts you.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 10:26 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• if the baby bites you pull her away from your breast and firmly say no. Do this each time she bites & she will stop because she'll get sick of not getting milk.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:27 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My son started getting teeth at 4 months. He never bit me before he had teeth. But the good news at least in my situation he really only bit when he first got his teeth. I would flick his little mouth and say no. Mine was a brat and would bite me and then laugh. But now we're at 10 month and 10 teeth and he very rarely bites me. I think they just need to learn how to eat again after they get their teeth. Unfortunately it's a very painful process for us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Sep. 18, 2009