Moms who have a religion

How did you know that your religion was for you? I'm having a hard time choosing between two religions and I'm just not sure how to decide, I agree with a lot of the beliefs of both.

Mortiferouslatt

Asked by Mortiferouslatt at 10:15 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• im a satanist, ive known sense i was 8..i knew it was the right choice for me because i agreed with everything about it..
    necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 10:19 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• You don't have to fit inside one little box. If you personally feel that you're pulled to more than one faith there's nothing wrong with that. If you really want to find a way to label yourself I'm sure you can think up a name. I think its more important to stay true to what you believe and make your label fit that (if you insist on a label) than try to make your beliefs fit a label, if you get what I mean.

There are many people who practice syncretism or eclecticism, and it all really boils down to what you're comfortable with yourself.

Me, personally, I found Christian Universalism and knew it was for me right away, as its general beliefs fit what I already believed, and gave me room to not have to worry about conforming to things that are too specific - it encourages individual opinion on things.

But you just have to figure out what YOURE most comfortable and happy with. And there's nothing wrong with changing your mind.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:37 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Religions are man-made lists of rules. If you can't find the right list for you it has nothing to do with you or your faith, just the guys who made the lists. If you have to, make your own list.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:42 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• i agree with NP and bandgeek. religion is man-made...if you're choosing between two, go with the one in your majority. (i'm sure i know of lots of '100%-xtians' who belong to certain denoms, but aren't 100% sold on their chosen one.)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:12 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Follow your heart. If both appeal to you then take what appeals and make it your own. Thats what Ive done.

Religion is man-made, spirituality is internal and your own and something that can grow as you do it doesnt have to fit into a box and stay that way.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:27 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• First of all you have to agree with what they're teaching. After that you have to go with how you feel about it. I went with what made me feel better about my life and myself. When you walk out of your religious service do you feel good about your life, like that was a hour or two well spend? Do you feel like you learned something out yourself or life that was useful? That's how I came to my decision.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I know that I can practice whatever form of religion I want independently but I'm I do love the ritual of "organized" religions. I grew up catholic and have realized that I do not believe in the trinity, or that Jesus was the incarnation of God, but that he was indeed a prophet. I do miss the ritual in the church, I've always thought it was beautiful, and a nice tribute to God. I'm torn between Judaism and Islam because both go with my basic beliefs. Religion is man made however, and its not necessary that I fit into one, I just miss it.
    Mortiferouslatt

Answer by Mortiferouslatt at 11:50 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I['m surprised no one has directed you to the beliefnet quiz yet. It can help you decide by showing what religion is closest to your own beliefs.
    http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Quizzes/BeliefOMatic.aspx
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:08 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Search, ponder and pray.

Search: do your studying to learn about them (sounds like you've already done that).

Ponder - just give yourself some time to let the ideas stew in your head, include some quiet moments.

Pray - with real intent, meaning you're willing to act on the answer no matter what it is

....and you'll get an answer.

best wishes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Why do you need to choose?

Answer by rkoloms at 12:47 PM on Sep. 18, 2009