Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My kid can't take PB&J to school...is this hyteria?

My daughter is not allowed to take any peanut butter foods to school. Am I wrong in thinking that the peanut allergy hype is overblown? I mean, some kids are allergic to bee stings as well, so if we follow the peanut logic, maybe kids should not be allowed to play outside, in fact, MORE people are allergic to bee stings than they are to peanuts. Kids allergic to bee's are taught how to use epi pens. There are so many things that people are allergic to more often than peanuts. I think parents should quit punishing all because of their kids allergies, and instead, teach there kids how to manage their allergy (stay away from peanuts, inform the adults around them and kids around them about their allergy). Am I the only one that feels like this peanut thing is overblown?

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Health

Answers (331)
  • oh because the tiniest amount of kids are allergic ... so they punish 100's instead of just 1 or 2 ... why wont they ban everything everyones allergic to , is my question!
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

  • It's a very serious allergy and even if you do teach your kid to stay away from peanuts (as the boy allergic to peanuts in my son's class has been taught) if another child ate peanut butter and even breaths on them they can have a reaction. So even if you ostracized them at lunch time and didn't let them eat with the rest of the kids to be sure they weren't near any peanuts, they could STILL get sick afterward if some other child ate peanuts at lunch. I don't think it's a big deal not being able to send peanut butter to school with my son, there are plenty of other things he can take and it actually makes it easier to give him a variety instead of the same thing every day.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

  • In the first place, peanuts and peanut butter are not sacraments. Children can go the length of a school day without peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Peanut allergies can be deadly. The throat becomes enflamed and closes making breathing impossible. So no, it's not hysteria or overblown.

    I'm seeing so much whining about not being able to send pb&j to school I am wondering if this is because lazy parents don't want to have to fix an actual healthy lunch for their children. You can also have them eat a school prepared lunch. It's not like peanut butter is the only thing in the world for them to eat.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

  • They do make substitutes for peanut butter if you REALLY can't think of anything else to send. There's almond butter, sun butter, soy-nut butter and I'm sure there's more. I've heard that sun butter is the closest tasting to peanut butter.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

  • I realize that some children have peanut allergies and having allergies are horrible to deal with and my son had severe allergies so I understand how that is and with that said my sons were such picky picky eaters, that all I could get them to eat was peanut butter and honey on a heavy grain bread, never white bread so my kids lunches were very healthy for them and sorry that's not laziness making a child a peanut butter sandwich....If my boys did not get a peanut butter sandwich....they would have starved until they got home....so I see both issues as problems for both kinds of children with dietary requirements.

    tyme4me2day

    Answer by tyme4me2day at 10:48 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

  • If it were youir child and she could have an allergic reaction just by coming into contact with a child that at peanut butter on her hands or even breath would you think it is overblown? Peanut allergies are more serious and common then you think. I think as a parent you would be a little more understanding.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

  • yes, It was like that one year in my kids school. I think it is BS. then put the allergic kid by himself insted of punishing the whole damn school! way over blown!
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

  • Anon 10:52, that's not enough to keep them from having a reaction. If another kid has some peanut butter on their finger and touches the other child or on their breath and breathes on him he could have an allergic reaction just to that.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

  • THe chances of being struck by lightening are higher than dying from a peanut allergy...
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

  • "THe chances of being struck by lightening are higher than dying from a peanut allergy..."

    Really? I'd like to see those statistics, got a link?
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN