Have you ever colored your own hair?

If you have colored your OWN hair yourself, how easy or hard was it? And how long was your hair?

firenicecream

Asked by firenicecream at 10:44 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Thank you all!
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 10:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Ok NOT a good idea!!!!!

Girl, I tried it a couple of times. Each time it came out dull and brittle. The last time I tried dying my hair a really light brown (I was going for the beyonce/tyra look) and it was dreadful! My hair hung to the middle of my back and after the coloring the center of my head was damn near bald! My hair broke off in sooo many places and it was uneven. I really recommend you go to a pro.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 10:48 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My hair is passed my shoulders and i usually colored it myself i went and bought the stuff at the sally's our local beauty supply store, they are very helpful there to tell you everything that you will need. However if you have dark hair and are going lighter you hair will probaly go lighter at the roots rather than something that is already dyed, the beauty salon can perfect this but not me, and if you have light hair and going darker then the roots will go lighter at the roots, if your hair has highlights or any kind of dye in it you need to get something to strip the dyed hair before you do anything else. If you have virgin hair then you should be fine (virgin not dyed at all) but when you go to your beauty supply store they will be able to answer all your questions, take advantage of it fully. good luck
    Bluesdawg02

Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 10:51 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• wow sugahmomma, i color my own hair, i have since forever, (3rd grade i did my hair bright red, i wanted to be just like my uncle and he did so...) anyways, but i do it all the time. ive never had a problem with it, i do black though, if youre going blonde do one box then wait like 2 weeks, (even if you have to walk around with orange hair) most people say to wait the same with the darker colors but i dont. ... or you can just play it safe and go to a pro.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I dye mine all the time, and it has been terrific. My hair has been all different lengths and it has been super easy for me to do. I take my time and make sure it's all covered...good luck! And my hair is always so soft afterwards, and shiny. =-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Most of the over the counter products are VERY easy to use and come with very detailed instructions. Ms Clairol or nice-n-easy are the ones I get the best results in.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:06 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Yes I did with Kool aid lol.....turned out good too!
    Miss_B

Answer by Miss_B at 11:10 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I've NEVER had a professional dye job. I've colored my own hair since the age of 16, long hair, short hair and in between.

The only time it didn't work well was when I tried a highlight look. Usually I will use something like Nice & Easy or Nutrisse. I don't go far off my natural color, though.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:24 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I have medium brown hair that has always been pretty long (always past my shoulders). I used to dye it blonde in high school and college. I loved it, but I didn't love keeping up with my roots!!! I used to buy the box kits from the store, but then some friends told me how to mix my own so I wouldn't have to use a whole kit just on my roots. I would buy all the stuff from Sally's Beauty Supply. They have the dye and whatever that stuff is you mix it with (sorry, been a long time). I liked it a lot better. But I must say that after years of dying my hair, I believe it left my hair much finer/thinner. I used to have very thick hair, and it's never been the same. I'm sure it's much worse to dye your hair a lighter color than it is to darken it.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 11:41 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• From the time I turned 18 till I was about 26 I colored my hair. The length normally reached the middle of my back. Not that hard at all but it is worth buying the more expensive ones.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:48 AM on Sep. 18, 2009