Guinea Pigs won't walk in their ball!

Okay.. So I have two guinea pigs.. And last week I went out and bought two guinea pig balls for them to walk around in.. BOTH of them just sit there... So I tried rolling it a little to show them that it would move, and still nothing! I spent nearly 50 dollars on their balls.. So how do I get them to walk in it? lol..I've never had this happen! With guinea pigs as pets growing up, to hamsters, gerbils and mice. All of them have moved, but these two just sit there! haha

PeytonsMom21109

Asked by PeytonsMom21109 at 10:49 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Pets

• Given enough time i think they will get the idea. give it some time
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:04 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• It's probably a good thing then. Those balls are not good for guinea pigs. Rats, ferrets, hamsters, gerbils--sure. But guinea pigs have more rigid spines than those rodents. They can also damage their feet. It's all trial and error with guinea pigs. I've spent more than my fair share of money on toys they won't play with, treats they won't eat, and cages and igloos that have been too small. Congrats on your new piggies by the way.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:08 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I think its more of a fear factor. Think about it.... You live in a cage that people poke at you all day and you cant go anywhere. Then they pick you up and put you in this smaller cage, i bet you would be scared too! IM NOT BASHING by the way, i grew up with rats, ferrets and hamsters, and we just let them run free when they werent in their cages, of course we watched them. But try putting their favorite treat or food out in front of them and then move it when they get closer until they get the hang of it, just remember to give it to them when their done in the ball!
    Froggy_girl1790

Answer by Froggy_girl1790 at 3:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• LOL. Thanks everyone! I can't take the balls back, I just called and I can't return them.. so that was 50 dollars down the drain! LOL! But they walk around the house in the hallway and the kitchen, but they keep getting underneath things and ALL the furniture to have to moved to get them out of the bedrooms and living rooms.. I just wondered why they didn't ever walk in it! Thanks everyone though!!
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 3:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Because guinea pigs are not made TO walk in balls. they are not rodents and their spines are not like rodents spines. A ball is a BAD thing for a gp and they seem to know that. As a guinea pig foster care provider in the past (2000-2005) I have cared for many (42) guinea pigs and currently have 2 boys as pets. The foster gps were temporary residents. I cared for them until permanent homes were found. This is an excellent website to check out:

http://geocities.com/gpigluv/index.html

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I don't know. My rats won't use their balls either =/
    Nzumbe

Answer by Nzumbe at 1:10 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• my guinea's never liked their balls.. they were much better with open spaces to explore. We used to fence them in with books stood on their ends, play fences, etc.... and they were happy with that. Ferrets don't like balls either LOL!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 8:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2009