My 22-month-old keeps food in his mouth and refuses to swallow...HELP!

We are in the process of adopting and he's only been with us 5 months. We know his nutrition was extremely poor during his first year. He will eat, but then keep the food in his cheek. Every meal is a battle to get him to swallow. He's underweight and I'm worried he's not getting enough to eat. IDEAS?

katieg919

Asked by katieg919 at 10:59 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Smoothie: frozen banana, frozen blueberries, kale (lots of iron and calcium), orange juice,kiwi or another vitamin C source (to increase the absorbtion of iron) and yogurt (use the real kind, with live cultures and without gelatin).

This is a good recipe to make together: Dad's Sneaky Pudding
    Makes 2 servings
    • 1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries
    • 1 banana
    • 1-2 tsp. carob or cocoa powder
    • 2 tsp. flaxseed oil
    • 3-5 Tbsp. nut butter (cashew or almond)
    • 2-3 Tbsp. orange juice or other healthy juice such as carrot juice
    • 2 Tbsp. fortified soymilk
    • 1/8-1/4 avocado
    Set your little companion up on a stool beside you, ready to toss in the ingredients and push the button. Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender. This works best in a food processor; you might add a bit more juice or soymilk if you use a blender. Blend until smooth

Answer by rkoloms at 12:18 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I would ask your peditrican about this. I read in parents magazine that this can be a disorder called food adversion. This is where a baby refuses to eat anything, it's and evolutionary response to avoid eating poisionous foods.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• try pediasure they say they are good for underweight toddlers I give my son carnation instant breakfast he is a very picky eater and sometimes refuses to swallow his food usually when he doesnt like what hes eating
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Sep. 18, 2009