He won't eat anything!!!

My 15 month old just cries and cries whenever I try to feed him anything. I keep making new dishes only to throw them out. I'm sick of wasting food and I'm thinking about doing the "If you don't eat what I make you don't eat at all" policy. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he is not sick, he will eventually eat when he is hungry. As long as he is drinking enough to keep hydrated i wouldn't worry too much. I agree with the if you don't eat what i make, you don't eat until the next snack or meal policy. It worked for my son. It seems like the more i pushed him, the more he resisted. Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• if you find something that he's eaten before and you know he likes it, make it sit him down at the table, and tell him he's not getting out of that highchair (or whatever) until he eats it. Make him sit there as long as it take even if he screams, I've babysat my friends little ones along with my child and the little girl sat there and cried the whole time then got over herself and finally ate the pizza. The only key is not to give in. That's what my parents did to me when i was little too, and believe me cold peas suck! good luck
    Bluesdawg02

Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 11:08 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• (Op here) He's not sick, trust me. He's running around playing. He's spitting out things that he normally eats. He didn't eat hardly anything yesterday.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• toddlers do that on occasion, have weeks where they eat barely anything and the next week all they want to do is eat. he won't starve himself when he's hungry he'll eat it. make simple things that don't take long and don't cost alot. (pb&j, warm up leftovers that kinda thing) so its not a horrid waste whenever he won't eat. i don't recommend making him eat it though, it'll just make him think he always has to eat everything he's given and it won't teach him to not eat if he's not hungry.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:16 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• are you feeding him, or is he feeding himself. even my 9 month old throws a fit if he's not feeding himself. they're a tad independent sometimes. but yes if he doesnt eat when you offer a meal, i'd start making him wait til next one. and like mentioned above, just make sure he's hydrated and he'll be ok.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 11:22 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• They all go through the air-o-tarian phase. Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods like hummus, avocado, tofu, baked sweet potato; also try frozen peas, blueberries and corn. Make sure that he is drinking water. It will pass soon, I promise.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:56 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• i say don't keep making him new stuff. fix breakfast, put it on a plate before him. if he doesn't eat it, that's ok. (and totally normal at this age) then fix lunch, he doesn't eat it? ok. then snack, dinner, snack. offer him a variety at each meal. with veggies, fruit, grain, dairy, protein with lunch and dinner, and a couple of these for each snack and breakfast.

sometimes my 2 year old won't eat hardly anything off his plate but my dr says it is completely normal... but it's also extremely frustrating, i know!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• btw i also think it's a bad idea to force him to eat. idk about you but having my child sit in his chair until he eats would not work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Sep. 18, 2009