What can I use to get rid of the Texas Fire Ants from our driveway and yards that won't harm my toddler or puppy?

We are becoming infested with fire ants in the front and backyard, as well as the seam in our driveway. We used to use the stuff you get at Home Depot, but I'm nervous about using it now that our 18 month daughter and 4 lb puppy are outside more often. I'm looking for something that will get rid of these huge mounds without being harmful to anyone else. Any ideas?

MommyofMolly

Asked by MommyofMolly at 11:00 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I live in NC and they've made their way here. We have them in our yard and my son got about 100 bites on his feet and ankles when he accidentally stepped on one. What I have been told is that you have to treat the whole yard by an exterminator or they will just move their hill to another area. Especially if you have them by a driveway they have actually built their "home" up under the driveway where you can't get to them, so even if you treat the mound you see next the the driveway they will be safe up under there because you can't get to the area underneath your driveway.
    In short, I don't have any help - we're dealing with the same thing and getting quotes from exterminators.

Answer by missanc at 11:13 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• what i did, they were in the crack of our front walkway.....i found the "hole"mound thing for them to get into the tunnel system haha, and poured a whole pitcher of really hot water in it, mixed with borax soap. i did that like 4 times in a row cause i didnt know how big it was, then after that i sprayed all the things with bug killer. then let it dry really good, and they havent been back i did all that at the beginning of the summer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Sep. 18, 2009