in a rut

I feel like I am in a rut, what can I do to get out of it? I am a sahm and have 3 kids under 5. Help I need things we can do that don't cost much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• go outside, nature walks are free. parks. walk around the mall...minus your purse. take the kids to a local farm to see the animals
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• think of things you always dreamed of doing with kids. Set up a crafting center and a rough schedule where you have some craft time, reading time, outside time and some alone time (maybe during nap time). Do something for yourself like paint your toenails. soak in the tub, shave your legs and surprise hubby.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:17 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Super bubbles. Go to the local drug store and get a small bottle of glycerin. Add it to water with dish washing liquid. This makes huuuuge bubbles. You can use every day items as wands. Plasitc coat hangers you name it. It is amazing fun. I have yet to meet a kid that didn't like those huge bubbles. Playdough or flubber...out at the picnic table of course...no mess to clean up or pick out of carpet. You can find recipes online..or playdough is super cheap at the store.

Walk with them outside, take a basket with you, see what kinds of "treasures" the kids can find, even if some are in strollers. Leaves acorns etc. Depending on where you live fall is an awesome time nature wise.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:25 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Oh outside table art. Finger paint, or we have made painted foot prints on paper, dated and named them, got that laminating sticky stuff at a craft store. Cut them out hole punch a hole in the top string on ribbon and made Christmas ornaments for the family out of them. Also, cut an apple in half across not from top to bottom..there is a "star" inside, dip in paint and print on paper...a lot of fun. Leaf rubbings are great too.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:27 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I know how it can be ---sometimes it can be less than stimulating to be home with young children all the time, especially on a tight budget. But, don't forget what a luxury all that time actually is! That is what I would remind myself when I felt restless.....
    You got some great suggestions for fun things to do...Maybe plan one actual activity for each day. And don't forget to invite a friend with kids over once in a while--the kids can play and you can talk. If you have a day like that planned it is fun preparing for it---getting the house ready, preparing a little snack.... I guess sometimes we have to make a big deal out of little things and when we do it might help us to appreciate what we are doing.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 4:13 PM on Sep. 18, 2009