My 2 year old is scared to sleep!

My 2 in a half year old got an elmo toddler bed back in June. He absolutely LOVES it and has been sleeping great in it. All of a sudden he's been terrified (just starting 2 nights ago) I would do the usual nightly routine.... Dinner, bath, read 3 books, rock him in the chair, and in bed by 8:30. (keep in mind that I have a 9 month old daughter to give her last feeding to and put her to bed as well) So as soon as he falls asleep on me I put him into his bed and gently close his door. As soon as he realizes I've left he starts screaming at the top of his lungs saying "no mama" over and over again. Then he starts banging on the door!!! All I want to do is cry because I don't know what to do!!! So I HAVE to go up there and hug him or something because this is night time now, I don;t want neighbors or whoever thinking crazy thoughts. So when I go up there hug him, and ask him wants wrong he says "i scared"... and says "mama bed"

mommy_manda1115

Asked by mommy_manda1115 at 11:08 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 16 month old started doing this also. She sleeps in a crib though. She has always slept through the night since she was pretty young. About a month ago she started waking up and crying mam. Doesn't want to go back to sleep. I would pick her up and go sit in the living room with her for a while. Then I put her back in her crib. I was thinking maybe she is hungry. She is not eating too well right now. Does your son eat fine. We started putting her closet light on. I though maybe she is scared of the dark. I'm not sure if you leave the light on for your son. I would recommend definitely not putting him in bed with you. Once you start doing this he is going to get used to it. Unless you don't mind him sleeping in your bed every night. Does he still drink milk? Maybe some warm milk would help him. Good luck.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 11:17 AM on Sep. 18, 2009