This seems like a lot of food for my baby to be eating. What do you think?

It is 11 right now and since he woke up at 9 he has been eating and eating. I was getting kind of worried that he would eat so much it would make him sick.

He had about 1/2 cup of fruity cheerios and milk, then 1/4 cup of cottage cheese with 1/4 cup of manderin(sp?) oranges, now he is eating a yoplait kids yogurt. This is all within 2 hours. That might be normal for a regular size 1 yr old but my son is only 17 pounds at 13 months old. Maybe he is finally growing? I don't know it just seems like a lot to me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• has he been crying for food? or maybe crying for another reason but taking the food? its possible he's getting teeth in and is fussy. or he's just hungry and going to go through a growth spurt. since he isnt real big, its obvious he doesnt over eat. i wouldnt stress it, but maybe next time he starts getting upset try other things instead of food first to see if it will settle him down.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 11:20 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• toddlers go through weird stages...one day they don't want any food (or just the normal amount) the next they won't stop eating. just make sure what you give him is healthy and beneficial to him, not all junk (which sounds like you are doing) and when hes no longer hungry he won't want to eat. you can try to distract him w/a game or toy but if he's hungry thats all he's going to want to do. my dd will be 4 in dec, and still has days where she doesn't eat anything more than a banana or some bread, and the next day she'll want fruit every 5 mins.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:21 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• He says NUM NUM NUM when he wants to eat. He has been going around and doing his "num num num" all morning so I just give him a little food. 5 mins. later he is back to "num num num". Every time he sees me with food he wants some and ends up eating my whole meal or snack, even if he just ate.

OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• the other day my 2 year old ate two slices of toast, a whole banana (it was huge!), three scrambled eggs, two slices of cheese, and a bowl of cereal. between 6:30 when they get up, and 8. yesterday he didn't want anything... kids are just like that.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:26 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• i don't think that sounds like alot at all. My daughter is 11 months and weighs 22lbs ( and no she is not fat, she is 31 inches tall, her daddy is 6'5) For breakfast she eats some puffs,yogurt melts, and dried fruit. and then she will have like 4 mini waffles, or french toast sticks and had just had her bottle like a hour before. babies are really good at telling you when they are full. It sounds like you little guy is going through a growth spurt and is just eating more as he gets older. I wouldn't worry at all.
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 11:27 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• wow, that is a LOT of dairy just to start the day. anyone else notice that?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:35 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• It is a lot of dairy but that is what he likes to eat and it's better than chips and koolaid

OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• It's not that much compared to my toddler.

For a baby, it is a lot. For a toddler, it sounds about right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Toddlers have days where they will eat everything under the sun and others where they will eat next to nothing. It is completely normal.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 12:36 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• be happy he eats. my dd doesnt drink milk, if i can get her to eat one good meal am happy. my dd has lost 2lbs since march cuz she doenst eat.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2009