Have you ever wondered about your mother in law.......

how she managed to keep your husband fed clothed and alive long enough for you to marry him?

some of my MIL's ideas, thoughts, suggestions and other "help" make me think she could never possibly raise a child successfully in any way shape or form, much less have them live thru infant and childhood. but then I look at DH and remember, oh... I guess she sort of did.......

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 11:31 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• This is so funny, but to answer your question yes I have though this.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 11:33 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• New moms always think older experienced Moms dont know what we are talking about. B
    ut she obviously raised your DH and he is fine today right? She knows something.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:33 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• my MIL is a drug addict, bipolar and acts like she is roughly 12...or younger...so yes, I have wondered this often. And my FIL is a complete waste of flesh as well....yikes huh? NO...I am not being hateful and mean, my DH shares my feelings and considers my parents to be the only mother and father he has.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Well I think you forget things as time goes by and so the advice you give is what you think you remember but not what actually happened. Once in a while my MIL will say something and I'll ask my DH about it and he just laughs and says "That's not the way it was at all".
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 11:36 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• LOL, my MIL is a cleaning fanatic, always cooks and things like that, but one thing she did not do is she never talked to him, never taught him any morals, he never really got in trouble or anything. His dad is the same way. I couldn't believe they just let him do some of the things he did without teaching him about how they were wrong. They never really instilled anything in him, and it's so different from how I was raised because my mom always talked to me, taught me right from wrong, taught me morals, self-respect etc. Now that he's married to me he's learning all this stuff! lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• No not at all.  My MIL did a great job raising my dh and his siblings and has been a great source of advice for me when mine were little.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:40 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• YES! I have heard such a large amount of wives tales and myths it's not even funny.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My Hubby obviously turned out okay...but he's an only child, and him and his parents have a weird relationship (in relation to the one I have with my parents), not saying at all that they are/were horrible parents, but I don't think they really have LOTS of experience...compared with my parents, who have 5 kids, myself included. So my own Mother is who I ALWAYS go to for advice =).
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 1:34 PM on Sep. 18, 2009