DS Doesn't take care of himself so frustrated.

My DS almost 16 doesn't have good hygiene, he showers every other day of so and his hair always looks like S... I am so frustrated if I say anything he gets pissed. Should I leave it alone?

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 11:43 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Maybe you could buy him some of the new Axe body and hair stuff.. He might like it so much he does a better job?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I don't know what to tell you other than that I hate the new fashion trend towards teenage guys with greasy hair. My cousin's teenage son didn't change his habits until he got a girlfriend. I'm not sure how he ever got one, though, lol. Maybe there is a man or older brother figure in his life that could joke around with him and open up his eyes and nose?
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 11:47 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Have you mentioned casually to him that girls like a clean guy and don't want to be around somebody who smells or looks dirty? He may not realize that when people hit puberty that they smell if not washed regularly, he may think since he didn't smell when he was younger that he doesn't now. So tell him that everybody as they get older smells and should bathe regularly, and that girls won't want to be around a smelly guy.

Answer by Bmat at 11:57 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• MY DS has a girlfriend , although i think it is coming to an end. He is a cute boy and would look so much better if his hair did not look so nasty.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 11:57 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I have the some problem at my house; my step son may take a shower twice a week and does he brush his teeth I DO NOT BELIEVE SO and when ever I bring it up to his dad his dad trys to back his son up and finally his dad will tell him you need to start taking baths every night and that lasts for one night.
    Tdaycare6678

Answer by Tdaycare6678 at 2:19 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Don't leave it up to them to have good hygiene. In our house I don't  ask, I tell my son to go get in the shower, wash his hair, and brush his teeth.

Does he get pissed sometimes? Yes
    Do I care? No
    Have I ever sent him back to the shower to do it again?  Yes

He is 13 and now knows that you don't mess with mom when she says go bathe!

Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 2:30 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• It's our job as parents to teach our children and to guide them. That's our job until they graduate from high school. After that, hopefully, they have been raised to be independent and they head off to college and their own lives. Until then though, we get to lay down the law and enforce it so to speak. If you know it's a problem TELL your son to shower every morning before school or every eveningg before bed. Don't make it optional and up to him. If he won't do it, MAKE HIM. Who cares if he gets upset?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My brother went through the same thing when he was in his early teens. He went as far as going into the bathroom and would run the shower as if he was taking a bath. He would wet the washcloth, the towel, and even his hair ,but would not shower. He finally ended up getting a rash and had to go the doctor b/c of his unhealthy habits, that was enough to get his attention and from then on it went from one extreme to another, we couldn't keep him out of the shower. Don't nag him about this just explain to him the possible outcome from his actions and show him some graphic pic. of nasty skin rashes. A picture is worth a thousand words and sometimes a million showers..
    angelsmom94

Answer by angelsmom94 at 12:01 AM on Sep. 20, 2009