Sometimes when my three month old son is being layed down for bed, he will open his eyes and watch me standing beside his crib. If I move he will start whining and crying, and stops if I come back. He also seems to know if I have left the room and cries. Is this normal?

linemans_wyf

Asked by linemans_wyf at 11:52 AM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As is perfectly normal, he has learned that when you are around he gets fed and changed and petted, and that you respond to his calling you by crying. He should learn to self-soothe, to not need you to be there to fall asleep.

Answer by Bmat at 12:04 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• How can I get him to learn to self soothe?
    linemans_wyf

Answer by linemans_wyf at 12:21 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• The only way I could get my son to do this was by leaving the room and letting him cry for a little while. When he realized that I wasn't going to run in there every few minutes, he eventually fell asleep. I was peeking in the door where he couldn't see me, it took about 10 minutes, but after that first long time, it was only little grunts from there on out.
    Amy75972

Answer by Amy75972 at 1:30 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• yes it's normal. he loves you and wants to be around you :D he is probably lonely and feeling a little insecure alone in his bedroom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Sep. 18, 2009