My son Fell and My husband freaked!

Ok.. my husband has always been VERY over protective of our son. Well yesterday at my mom's he was running with his dumptruck ( he's 22 months old ) on a walk while my mom was pushing my cousins baby in the stroller, well he was running and somehow fell and scrapped his face - looks like roadrash on his cheek and a big old gooseegg on his forehead, I cried when I saw it but understand kids will be kids and accidents happen but my husband is really mad about it. He thinks me and my mom are not protecting him enough and are "letting " him get hurt instead of paying close enough attention and preventing accidents from happening at all. He totally does not believe this couldn't have been prevented. We both love our son with all we have but have such different view when accidents happen... does anyone else have to deal with thsi? we fought last night for almost an hour about how this could have happened etc...

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 12:12 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• My husband was like that when the kids were little....it is horrible! Of course I was the one with them most of the time so it is always easier to be a monday morning quarterback or a back seat driver or any of those sayings that mean you didn't actually have to do anything but could blame other people for doing an imperfect job! We had a lot of unnecessary stress over it and I really feel for you.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 4:04 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Wow, your husband needs to lighten up. Kids fall, it happens, especially with toddlers. What is he gonna do when your son starts riding a bike, wrap him up in foam?

Its not like the boy broke his arm or anything like that. Its nothing to fight over. And he will never learn how to catch himself if he isn't aloud to fall. Hell, my daughter is 16 months old and has scraped up her knees 3 times now...it happens!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:17 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My husband was like that with my first. Now it's 14 years later and we have 2 more children. He has definitely lightened up through the years. We used to fight a lot about such stupid things. He has mellowed completely.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:20 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Kids have accidents. They cannot be prevented. Sorry to tell him that. You cannot shield them from minor accidents. My son is 11 months old and way too adventurous. He climbed up on the couch, put his little arms out, and I guess he thought he could fly. This all happened before I could get to him. So now he has stitches on his face! and the rest of his face is black and blue. Talk about crying...I was definately crying. He just sat there and giggled and kept going!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Sounds like something you two need to agree to disagree on and leave it alone. I would tell him you are offended that he thinks you are a bad mother. And would not talk to him for a while

Answer by louise2 at 12:24 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• A fight takes 2 people. Don't entertain the fight. Let him "air out". He'll get over it, and the more he sees the boy being active, he'll grow to understand.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• NO OFFENSE BUT IF YOUR DH KEEPS BEING LIE THAT YOUR DS IS GONNA GROW UP TO BE ONE OF THOSE WHINNYE KIDS WHO CRY ALL THE TIME. IS HE PLANNING A REASING A MAN OR A LIL GIRL?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:37 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I did at first because my DH only had his DD 4 days a month. Now we have two boys ages 3 and 4. He has learned shit happens...no matter how much you love them. Just ignore it...wait,it will only be a matter of time when something happens on his watch...won't he feel salty then?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:53 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I'd ask him if he wants his son to be a wimp. Kids fall, they get hurt, and they learn to roll with it. If you keep him in a bubble then every little bump is going to be a tragedy. I firmly believe that you need to let kids explore, learn, and grow. Sometimes the unfortunate side of that is a scrape or a bump. This was clearly not a case of neglect. You can't keep them wrapped in bubble wrap or they'll never learn from exploring their world.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 3:50 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• BJOAN - that's totally what It is. He is such a blamer - he says He can't believe we'd let this happen, we need to watch him more, why would we WANT him to learn from scrapes and falls - he refuses to listen to reasoning about this too. When Max was 6 months old and learning to crawl he'd walk over him and try to protect his head from bonking on the table but I told him he has to learn boundries and ducking and normal everyday things like that and he just doesn't "get it" This scrape was more extreme than any bump or scrape yet but so was my husbands outburst and he's the same way- I am always the one with my son and taking care of him along with my mom so he just gets to judge - thank you!! at least there are other mom's out there that DO understand how much stress this does actually cause!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:17 PM on Sep. 18, 2009