Have you ever had bill collectors border on harrasment?

seriuosly i owe Excel but we had a misunderstanding and they are allowing me to pay them.. i onyl owe them 50 more dollars.. they never snet my bill to the proper place after i moved.. it was sent to collections but excel was willing to work with me.. they told me just explain that to the collcetion agency .. well i did but they are not accpeting my answer.. they are calling 5-7 times a day! has anyone else had collection agencys take it too far?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 12:21 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

• send that collection agency and written letter telling them to no longer contact you, by law they have to stop. then you can just go through the original company, and when they call tell them that you put a letter in the mail telling them to stop calling or sending you mail. theyll stop. they have to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• if ppl payed there bills, they wouldnt be calling. wouldnt you call peole over and over again if they owed you money? i know i would
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• If you are working it out with excel, call them back and ask them to please call the collection agency. I had to do something similar with a hospital bill. It did not work for me, however, and the next time the collection agency called I explained to them, AGAIN, that the hospital and I had worked it out and that I did not need to pay their agency. They refused to listen to me, and so I demanded to speak with their manager (which I did) and she was very understanding, disappointed with her employees for being so rude to me, and I never received another call from them.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:24 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My father is a dead beat drug addict with no to little chance of ever actually paying any of the creditors anything! So, they have now started calling me! One told me that this was the address and phone number he used to open the account... Which is funny, because when the account was open I didn't live here that the phone number was for another address... AND my father doesn't have my contact information... So umm... I don't thing so! They call at least a few times a week and tell me they are going to turn this over to "the autorities" if I don't pay what is owed... I say, Let them! What are they going to do to me?

But yes, the calls are very harrassing and really get old quick!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:51 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I have always paid my bills or if I couldn't make a payment contacted the company before I was in default. You keep the account out of collections that way. I also do not rely on them to send me anything I know what I owe and keep track of that myself. If one is responsible they rarely do get calls from collections even when they fall on hard times.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• WOW, it must be nice Anon's, to be sooooooooo well off that that you never have had a debt problem. And never had creditors call you. *rolls eyes*

I found out that you can go through processes of demanding everything in writing and no longer call, etc.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I have never had that expierience, but I also have lawyers to write letters on my behalf and make calls.

Many companies will not stop calling even if you write a letter. I would recommend someone on your side. You can have 24/7 access to a lwyer in your area for as low as $17 a month, they could probably get rid of this debt for you seeing it was a misunderstanding.

I dont know for sure, contact a lawyer. You can enroll into a legal plan by clicking here.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 1:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2009