How important is matching education levels in a marriage?

I'm talking can your man spell at all? Do you have a healthy happy relationship but have to overlook times when you think they are ignorant? I dont mean to be rude, but does it bother you when they cant spell? I am in love with a great man, good with kids, helps around the house, treats me with respect but sometimes he sends me txts and i think r u kidding me...I just don't want it to be something that drives me crazy later but I dont expect perfection in anyone. No bashing please, I'm sure I put a comma or something where it doesnt need to be..this is an honest question. can this be overlooked longterm?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• I have to overlook times when I think he's ignorant and that has nothing to do with spelling or grammer. Just like I'm sure he does the same thing.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• If I met a man who was collage educated and always corrected the way I talked and spelt and did things. It would piss me off and we would not be together because of it.

Answer by louise2 at 12:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I don't think it matters at all. My hubby a is very educated. I only have a HS diploma and cant spell for shit., Hubby and I just spoke about this at dinner last night, I said that I have learned so much from him. So if you have a great relationship you can learn from each other and not sweat the small stuff. Sounds like you have a great man. As for spelling I use spell check all the time.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 12:32 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I've always picked men that were at least as intelligent as I am.
    I dated one guy that didn't spell and read as well as I (I'm very good at that though) but he was extremely smart about everything else. He could build or fix anything and everything, and did complex math in his head.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Yes, it can. Even though I am not in the same boat as yours, I don't think your and your DH's education levels are much differences. What I mean is you two were attracted to each other and got married so that shows me you two are acutally in close levels so you two were able to communicate and express til now. Men are always like that...don't really care about details. I think a few mis-spell or something is normal...one thing for sure, he wasn't trained to be a writer or English teacher, right?
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 12:36 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My SO dropped outta school in 9th grade to help support his family. I have my HS diploma and some college in my education, but I've gotta say... He's very smart, smarter than me! (never thought I'd say that about a man!) lol. But he can't spell worth a damn, but I love him and would be lost without him...
    Amy75972

Answer by Amy75972 at 12:38 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Reason I ask this is when I'm with him I adore him, think of him when we are apart... I could list 100 things I like about him and the 2 things I don't like are just pet peeves. My mom was an English nut. We always had to say, "Tammi and I"..not "me and Tammi" and things like that. He just sent me a text that said, "I beleave you" instead of believe. To me this is shocking. He has a 2 yr college degree, but it is in mechanics, he just isn't good with English. I don't want to be shallow, I just wonder if this will bother me more down the road or if I will get used to it? lol

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• More than knowing how to spell is having a common ground for discussion and for the way you think. Financial matters, spending money, raising children, carrying debts on credit cards, nutrition, how to dress, living conditions, cars, all need agreement, more or less, on the basics. Education helps to get information to make judgments about these matters, but people can get information from reading on their own or life-experience, too, and don't necessarily need to sit in a classroom, although in a classroom maybe there would be more chance of a thorough background. Another way of putting it is that the husband may have an 8th grade education and never left home, and the wife a masters degree and worked for a while, and she may find herself thinking less of his uninformed ideas.

Answer by Bmat at 12:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My DH and I have very different education backgrounds. I graduated high school with a 3.8 and hubby dropped out his second time in 9th grade. I went on to get my bachelors in biology. He got his GED and started working in his dad's shop at 15. He is now a mechanic with his own shop and I am a SAHM. He is not the best at spelling and does ask me all the time how to spell things, but whatever. He reads slower than me so when we are both reading something at the same time I have just learned to be patient (I really don't even realize it anymore). I fell in love with him bc of who he is, not his education. I never really think about it, until your question got me thinking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I use to think that it didn't matter but now after almost 5 years of marriage i'm realizing how important it is. College changes your whole way of thinking. No only are you more open to concepts and have a greater understanding. I find it hard to have real conversation. I would really be hesitant to go into a long term relationship with someone on a different educational level.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Sep. 18, 2009